View north at Blackrod, between Chorley and Bolton, where there was a triangular junction with the line to Horwich station and the Horwich works of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. Class 150 unit number 272 calls at the station on 2 March with a service for Hazel Grove. The signal box (still in use) can just be made out through the footbridge and stands next to the northern part of the old triangle. The southern junction to Horwich may have been to the right of the goods shed. The rapid expansion of railways in this part of the world in the mid to late 19th century is well reflected in the names carried by this station between 1841 and 1888 which were Horwich Road, Horwich and Blackrod, Horwich Junction, Horwich and Blackrod Junction and finally Blackrod.
Company: Bolton and Preston Railway
Photographer: John McIntyre
Contact photographer: John McIntyre
Image number: 27961