Alloa Bridge

'The other Forth Bridge', opened by the Alloa Railway in 1885, photographed looking north from Throsk towards Alloa and the Ochil Hills in 1966. The central 'swing' section of the bridge, incorporating a signal box mounted above the line, can be clearly seen. The last scheduled passenger train crossed the bridge in 1968 and the last freight two years later. Removal of the deck and superstructure took place during 1971, but the piers remain in the Forth to this day see image 8843

Location: Alloa Bridge

Company: Alloa Railway

Photographer: Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven)

Make contact: Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven)

Date: 1966

Image number: 27630


Other photographs of Alloa Bridge on RailScot