Edinburgh Waverley

The Solari (named after its Italian manufacturer) was installed at Waverley in 1970 in the spruce-up for the Commonwealth Games.  It is now July 1997 and its less entertaining successor is taking shape.  The 1040 to Brighton, the Sussex Scot, is on the board and the limitations of the technology are obvious.  Every time a timetable change resulted in a stopping pattern not covered by existing leaves, or there was a new station stop added, it meant a man on portable scaffolding was required to add new leaves or stick-on letters.

Location: Edinburgh Waverley

Company: North British Railway

Photographer: David Panton

Make contact: David Panton

Date: 07/1997

Image number: 27525


Other photographs of Edinburgh Waverley on RailScot