The railway reached Braintree in 1848 and this wooden building served as the town's terminus for 21 years until a connecting route to Bishop's Stortford was constructed via a junction some distance away. A new, more substantial, station was then built on the through line that skirted the town to the south while the first became part of Braintree's main goods depot. The replacement station is still in operation, but as a terminus once again. The original building became a coal merchant's office and was surviving in good repair when this photo was taken on 21st January 1978. The depot was then still open for general freight, but the facility was withdrawn that August leaving only private UKF traffic for a few more years. All the sidings and the original station have now gone.
Company: Maldon, Witham and Braintree Railway
Photographer: Mark Dufton
Make contact: Mark Dufton
Image number: 27464