Opened by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway in 1840 as Lochwinnoch, the station was renamed Lochside in 1905 after a second Lochwinnoch station, nearer the town, was opened by the G&SW on the Kilbarchan Loop. This photograph shows Lochside in 1959, some 4 years after closure, with Black 5 4-6-0 no 44721 heading north with a parcels train. The station was subsequently reopened to passengers in June 1966, co-incident with the closure of the Kilbarchan Loop and the 1905 station. Lochside reverted to its original name of Lochwinnoch in May 1985.
Photographer: A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney)
Make contact: A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney)
Image number: 26487