Crown Street Goods

Ivatt class 2MT 2-6-0 no 46455 brings a freight out of Crown Street goods depot, Carlisle, in July 1958 across a double track bridge spanning 3 sets of lines. Those nearest are the goods lines from Upperby, in the centre are those from London Road and furthest away are the N&C/S&C passenger lines into Citadel station. The WCML can be seen on the extreme left of the picture. Although best known as a goods depot, Crown Street began life in 1844 as the site of the passenger terminus of the Maryport & Carlisle Railway, a function it performed for only 5 years, following which trains switched to Citadel. Crown Street goods depot lasted much longer however, being officially closed as such in 1966, although most of the track had been lifted the previous year. The deck of the bridge in the photograph had been removed by 1971. See image 5345

Location: Crown Street Goods

Company: Carlisle Goods Loop (Carlisle Goods Traffic Committee)

Photographer: Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney)

Make contact: Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney)

Date: 05/07/1958

Image number: 24608


Other photographs of Crown Street Goods on RailScot