The east end of Hincaster tunnel under the WCML (which can just be made out above the tunnel entrance). Although this looks like a single track railway tunnel, it is in fact part of the abandoned Lancaster Canal which formerly operated between Preston and Kendal. The tunnel was constructed during 1816 & 1817 and is 378 yards long. Over 4 million bricks were used in the construction of the tunnel and in its day was the first major brick structure north of the River Mersey. The path to the left also leads under the WCML, over the hill and to the west side of the tunnel. It was used by the horses that pulled the barges on the canal as there was no towpath through the tunnel. The last commercial traffic passed through the tunnel in 1944. See also photos 21298 and 21302. This is a key point on yesterdays and todays transport networks as the A590 dual carriageway also passes under the WCML approx 50 yards to the right of the picture.
Location: Hincaster Junction
Company: Lancaster and Carlisle Railway
Photographer: John McIntyre
Make contact: John McIntyre
Image number: 24337