Glasgow Central

Glasgow Central was built in the 1870's on the site of (and on top of) Grahamston Village, which although in the heart of modern day Glasgow was for long enough separate from Glasgow itself. When the Caledonian Railway built Glasgow Central, Grahamston was demolished. The only thing that marks Grahamston's existence is this plaque mounted at the top of the escalator at the Hope Street entrance to Glasgow Central. It commemorates the Alston Street Theatre which was Glasgow's first theatre (although at that time not within the city boundaries). This was erected as part of the Glasgow Theatre Trail, and unveiled by Rikki Fulton in 1990

Location: Glasgow Central

Company: Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)

Photographer: Graham Morgan

Contact photographer: Graham Morgan

Contact editor

Date: 20/04/2009

Image number: 23403


Other photographs of Glasgow Central on RailScot