Firsby East Junction

The famous Firsby Curve, built by the GNR in 1881, linked the East Lincolnshire Railway to the Wainfleet and Firsby and allowed through running of trains from the East Midlands to Skegness. The other East Lincolnshire lines, and Firsby station, closed in 1970 and have been swept away in the flat farming landscape leaving just the long branch from Boston to Skegness with that sharp curve that is such a feature of railway maps. 156402 slowly negotiates the curve as it heads for Boston and beyond.

Location: Firsby East Junction

Company: Wainfleet and Firsby Railway

Photographer: Mark Bartlett

Contact photographer: Mark Bartlett

Contact editor

Date: 09/04/1994

Image number: 21678