Donibristle Platform

The only concrete reminder of the existence of the former Donibristle Halt, this fine period specimen stands on the overbridge that led from the main road to the down platform and may well have cast its last light almost 50 years ago when the halt closed. Located close to the modern day Dalgety Bay station, Donibristle Halt was intended primarily for the use of those employed at the nearby Royal Naval Air Station (1917-1959), originally HMS Merlin but renamed HMS Cochrane after World War 2. Donibristle Halt was closed in 1959 along with the air base, which is now the site of an industrial estate, although a few original buildings and sections of the former runway remain and one of the roads within the estate is now named Cochrane Way.

Location: Donibristle Platform

Company: Aberdour Line (North British Railway)

Photographer: David Panton

Make contact: David Panton

Date: 15/11/2008

Image number: 21502


Other photographs of Donibristle Platform on RailScot