Bridge no 289, Aultnaslanach, north of Moy. First crossed by a train in 1897 and seen here 110 years later looking west along the Aultnaslanach burn. It is the last remaining timber bridge in Scotland to carry a main line. Having suffered from serious fungal decay for a number of years, a project was launched in 2003 to address the problem and, at the same time, strengthen the bridge with a view to ensuring its long-term use. This resulted in a specialised treatment being applied to the timbers, while a new reinforcing structure was sympathetically constructed within the framework of the bridge itself. The completed project was widely acknowledged as a notable success and subsequently received a number of heritage, design and engineering awards.
Location: Aultnaslanach Viaduct
Photographer: John Furnevel
Make contact: John Furnevel
Image number: 20481