Doncaster

Class A1 Pacific 60133 Pommern stands at Doncaster with a southbound train in the early 1960s. Introduced in 1948, the locomotive spent much of its life at 56C Leeds Copley Hill before being finally withdrawn in 1965. In the background, with the distinctive spire, stands the Church of St James, Doncaster, completed in 1858 to cater for the spiritual needs of the growing population of the town (mainly as a result of the arrival of the railway) and paid for primarily by the shareholders of the Great Northern. [With thanks to David Pesterfield.]

Location: Doncaster

Company: Peterborough to Doncaster Line (Great Northern Railway)

Photographer: Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney)

Contact photographer: Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney)

Contact editor

Image number: 20180


Other photographs of Doncaster on RailScot