The west portal of the 1954 Woodhead tunnel on 24 May 2008. This 3 mile double track tunnel was built for the Manchester-Sheffield-Wath electrification and replaced the 2 original single track mid 19th century tunnels alongside. Passenger services over Woodhead ceased in 1970 with the last train using the tunnel in 1981.
Photographer: John McIntyre
Contact photographer: John McIntyre
Image number: 19203Tags: Tunnel