Numero uno, capo dei capi, viaduct of viaducts... originally commissioned by the Stockton and Darlington Railway in 1841 to alleviate bottlenecks caused by the inclined planes it replaced, the 750 feet long, 12-arch, Hownes Gill Viaduct stands 150 feet above the valley floor near Consett, County Durham. Designed by Bouch, after referral of his plans to Robert Stephenson (who built the original inclined planes). View north west from the south side of the valley on 4 November 2007.
Location: Hownes Gill Viaduct
Company: Stanhope and Tyne Railroad
Photographer: John Furnevel
Make contact: John Furnevel
Image number: 17163Tags: Viaduct