This line made use of Marc Brunel's Wapping and Rotherhithe Tunnel. It connected the ares on the north and south bank of the River Thames in the east of London.
The line was owned by the East London Railway Company from opening until 1933 - the company being joint Great Eastern Railway, London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, London, Dover and Chatham Railway, South Eastern Railway, Metropolitan Railway and Metropolitan and District Railway.
It was extended north Old Kent Road Extension and Shoreditch Extension (East London Railway).
These locations are along the line.