The lines initially laid out for Methil Dock No 3 were later re-aligned to serve the now mothballed Methil Powerstation.
|/ /1767||Carron Iron Works|
Carron Company tramway to Kinnaird and Carronhall collieries re-laid with iron rails from Coalbrookdale.
First cast-iron rails made. Some of these may have been used on the Carron Iron Works waggonway to Kinnaird.
|/ /1770||Port Dundas Road|
|/ /1785||Cylinder-printing press|
Invented by Mr Bell, Glasgow for calico printing.
Opened as a calico printing field at Lennoxtown by R. Dalglish, Falconer & Co. Much of the output was for export to India.
|/ /1789||Forth and Clyde Canal|
Twin-hull paddle steamer, PS Experiment, tried by William Symington on canal.
|/ /1791||Nantyglo Iron works|
Finding the land leased too large, Hill Hopkins and Pratt sub-lease lands to Harford and Partridge.
|/ /1793||Port Dundas Waggon-Road|
Waggon-road opened from Port Dundas Basin to Glasgow, may have had rails. Financed by owner of Shotts Iron Works, John Baird.
|/ /1798||Halbeath Waggonway|
Line re-laid with iron rails.
|/ /1800||Brora Waggonway|
Re-laid with Iron rails
|/ /1800||Preston Island|
Sir Robert Preston opens salt-pans on the island, George, Lady Anne, Eye pits opened nearby.
|/ /1810||Brora Waggonway|
Re-opened on new route
|/ /1811||Nantyglo Iron works|
Joseph Bailey and Matthew Wayne buy works. Improvements are made and the works re-opened.
|/ /1812||Elgin Railway|
Line re-aligned from Wellwood to Charlestown Harbour with iron edge rails.
|/ /1812||Henry Bell
The steam-powered PS Comet [I] sails from Helensburgh to Greenock. Hull built by John Wood & Co of Port Glasgow, Steam engine by John Robertson and the boiler by David Napier.
|/ /1817||Blaenavon Ironworks|
Garn-Ddrys forge opened.
|/ /1817||Hills Tramroad|
Opened from Blaenavon Ironworks to Clydach, Garn-Ddrys and Llanfoist.
|/ /1819||Monkland Canal|
At Faskine Basin the Vulcan, the first iron-hulled passenger boat, is launched.
|/ /1819||Falkirk Iron Works|
Set up by former Carron Iron Works employees. Many foundries followed shortly in the immediate area. Pig-iron from Middlesbrough was used and these works were a cheaper option than the existing practice of sending pig-iron to Glasgow by the canal for manufacturing and then return by the canal.
|/ /1821||Elgin Railway|
Re-aligned again to avoid inclined planes, engineer; Mr Charles Landale (Dundee and Newtyle Railway engineer).
|/ /1822||Monmouthshire Canal Tramway|
Horse-drawn passenger service starts between Newport and Tredegar.
Duties on salt other than sea-salt lifted
|/ /1824||Ayr Waggonway|
Re-laid with iron edge rails.
|01/08/1828||Bolton and Leigh Railway|
Lecturers Close, Bolton, to Chequerbent collieries opened. The 0-4-0 locomotive "the Lancashire Witch" was named.
|/ /1829||Calder Iron works|
|/ /1829||Prestongrange Mine (Prestonpans)|
Opened by Matthias Dunn & others, goes to Grant-Suttie family.
|/ /1829||Ardrossan Railway|
Construction begins. 5.5 mile line from Ardrossan to Kilwinning. The line was a horse-drawn waggonway of gauge 4ft 6in.
|/10/1831||William Baird and Company|
Hot blast re-introduced at Gartsherrie Iron Works.
|01/06/1832||Hartlepool Dock and Railway|
Act passed for line from Moorsley, by Houghton-le-Spring, to Hartlepool and for construction of a dock at Hartlepool. Branches from Shotton to Ittington (Littletown branch), Shadforth to Thornley, and Castle Eden to Cassop were included. Not all lines were built as planned.
|/ /1834||Elgin Railway|
Branch to Dunfermline Netherton opened, line re-named Charlestown and Dunfermline Railway and opened to passengers.
|/ /1835||Fordell Railway|
Start of re-construction.
|/ /1836||Earl of Carlisles WaggonwayNewcastle and Carlisle Railway|
Link put in at Milton to allow horse-drawn carriages to run between Brampton Town and Milton. Later agent Edmonson at Milton (Brampton Junction) invents pre-printed tickets with a dispenser.
|/ /1837||Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
A further extension of time allowed to complete works. Line authorised to use locomotives through the Jerviston Estate - the company and Houldsworths of the Coltness Iron Works buying the rights.
|/ /1838||Fordell Railway|
End of re-construction.
|/ /1838||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
Weston-super-Mare branch authorised.
|/ /1840||Samuel Cunard|
Starts cross-Atlantic service with the mail contract
|/ /1840||London and South Western Railway|
Opened from London to Southampton. Stations on this section have included: Victoria, Battersea Park, Clapham Junction, Earlsfield, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, New Malden, Berrylands, Surbiton, Esher, Hersham, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge, West Weybridge, Byfleet & New Haw, Woking, Brookwood, Farnborough, Fleet, Winchfield, Hook, Basingstoke, Micheldever, Winchester, Shawford, Eastleigh, Southampton Airport, Swaythling, St Denys, Southampton [1st].
|20/08/1840||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Glasgow to Ardrossan trains start running, with connections to Liverpool steamers. The Ardrossan Railway was re-built to standard gauge for its connection to the main line.
|31/03/1841||Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway|
Paisley to Greenock opened. Connections with trans-Atlantic and other steamers was by walking down East Quay Lane.
|14/06/1841||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
Bristol (Harbour Bridge Junction) to Bridgwater, and Weston Junction to Weston-super-Mare opened. Stations on these sections at: Redminster, Parson Street, Long Ashton, Flax Bourton, Nailsea and Backwell, Yatton, Puxton and Worle, Bleadon and Uphill, Brean Road Halt, Brent Knoll, Highbridge, Dunball, Bridgwater, Weston Milton Halt and Weston-Super-Mare.
|/ /1842||Tir-Ffounder Cwmbach Mine|
Sunk by Thomas Powell, having moved from on from Llanhilleth.
|08/01/1842||Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
Extended from Overtown Road to Carluke [1st] (later Stirling Road) for minerals. (Date is inconsistent with the Chapel opening of 1841 - Chapel was further on from Stirling Road.)
|13/06/1842||First use of a Royal Train|
The British Monarchy - FAQ - What is the Royal train?
Re-routed and re-opened as the Padarn railway. Stations opened: Gilfach Ddu, Quarry, Penllyyn, Pontrhythallt, Crawia, Pensarn, Bethel, Cefn Gwyn, Penscoins and Port Donorwic.
|/01/1844||Bolton and Preston Railway|
|26/12/1844||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway|
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway's Horse-drawn service between Kirkintilloch Basin station and new Kirkintilloch station commences.
|/ /1845||Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway|
Passing of an Act to allow the line to be re-gauged from 4ft 6in to standard gauge.
|/ /1845||Eglinton Ironworks|
Opened (re-opened?), this leads to an expansion of the Ardrossan Railway.
|/ /1845||Glasgow, Airdrie and Monklands Junction Railway|
Line promoted between Glasgow and Coatbridge via Shettleston. The company hoped to build a goods and passenger station on the site occupied by the University of Glasgow which was interested in re-locating to a larger site.
|/12/1845||Sheffield Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway|
Line completely opened when single bore 3 mile 22 yard Woodhead tunnel opened on a gradient of 1 in 201.
|/ /1846||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway|
Sunnyside Junction re-modeled to allow expansion of William Baird and Company Gartsherrie Ironworks. William Baird and Company was the contractor for the work.
|/ /1846||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway|
Route re-gauged to standard gauge.
|/ /1846||Marquis of Lothians Waggonway|
Line doubled and re-gauged to standard gauge. A replacement Newbattle viaduct was built slightly the west of the original.
|/ /1846||Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway|
Approval for link between Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway and the Polloc and Govan Railway near Gushetfaulds - the curve is the Victoria Junction to Larkfield Junction (the former was later called Langside Junction and the latter is also known as Cathcart Road Junction).
|/ /1846||Clydesdale Junction Railway|
Authorisation for an Eglinton Street branch - opened to South Side [CR].
|16/07/1846||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Line leased to the Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway and re-gauged for locomotives.
The rope of a self-acting incline breaks and a coal train and passenger train run downhill and collide at the single track at the foot of an incline.
|/02/1847||Sheffield Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway|
Contract for second Woodhead Tunnel let.
|14/07/1847||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway|
New line from Portobello (Hawick Junction) to Niddrie South Junction opened, Niddrie to South Esk re-gauged. The Arniston Branch was replaced by a new alignment further west.
|14/07/1847||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)|
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction, Cairney to Millerhill, re-alignment at Sheriffhall [2nd] and Dalhousie to Gorebridge opened.
|/ /1848||Andrew Carnegie|
Leaves Dunfermline by the Charlestown Railway, Forth paddle-steamer ferry, Forth and Clyde Canal and steamer from Glasgow.
|/ /1848||Monmouthshire Canal, Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company|
Monmouthshire Canal renamed the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company. Act also includes provision to convert tramways to railways, cease access for private horse-drawn freighters on the lines, and commence using steam engines.
|25/07/1848||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Opened from Abernethy Road to Hilton Junction. Stations at Abernethy and Bridge of Earn [1st] opened, Abernethy Road closed. (Alternative date for Bridge of Earn - 18th.)
|/ /1849||Alexander Chaplin & Company|
Established in Glasgow to build products including rail-mounted cranes
|/ /1850||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Re-opened to passengers.
|/ /1850||Great Northern Railway|
Doncaster to York via Askern (immediately north-west of Doncaster on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway) opened. GNR uses L&Y line from 4 miles north of Doncaster to Knottingley.
|17/05/1850||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Opened from Cupar to Ferry-Port-on-Craig for passengers. Stations opened at Dairsie, Leuchars [1st], Ferry-Port-on-Craig opened.
|/ /1851||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Ferry-Port-on-Craig renamed Tay Port.
|01/04/1851||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
Horse traction abandoned on the Weston-super-Mare [1st] branch
|24/07/1851||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Line re-authorised (this the semi independent 'Lesmahagow Branches' which is backed by the Caledonian Railway); route Motherwell to Ferniegair to Coalburn to Bankend, branch to Northfield (probably the Southfield Old Pit).
|/ /1852||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
Accident at Creech - locomotive de-rails, no passenger injuries
|02/02/1852||Sheffield Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway|
New up Woodhead Tunnel opened.
Deeside Railway re-authorised from Ferryhill Junction to Banchory [1st].
|/ /1853||Great Northern Railway|
Peterborough to Grantham to Retford line opened. Stations at: Rossington, Bawtry, Ranskill, Barnby Moor and Sutton, Retford, Tuxford North, Crow Park, Carlton-on-Trent, Newark, Claypole, Hougham, Barkston, Grantham, Great Ponton, Corby Glen, Little Bytham, Essendine, Tallington.
|/ /1854||Ardrossan RailwayGlasgow and South Western Railway|
The older Ardrossan Railway was merged with the Glasgow and South Western Railway. The older line was re-gauged earlier to provide a through connection to Ardrossan Harbour.
|07/08/1854||Salisbury and Yeovil Railway|
|/ /1855||Neilson & Co|
Re-formed from Mitchell & Neilson, under control of Walter Montgomerie Neilson, son of James Beaumont Neilson who invented the Hot blast for blast furnaces
Line opened, worked by North British Railway. Jedburgh station had an all-over roof which was supported by the engine shed and station building. It is so far from the town a bus runs between the station and town.
|/ /1857||Kinross-shire Railway|
Fife and Kinross Railway
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1857||Clydesdale Junction Railway|
South Side [CR] station completed. The building was by William Tite and was shared with South Side [GB and NDR]. The mineral depot also opened - Gushetfaulds Goods.
|/ /1857||Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway|
Dellingburn Branch connection to Greenock station - an elevator is replaced with an incline from the goods yard. New goods shed and yard opened.
|/10/1857||Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal and Railway|
Agecroft renamed Agecroft Bridge and re-opened
|/ /1858||Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway|
Stone engine shed with two roads opened, Callander Shed. The 40ft turntable was in the station. Sub-shed of Stirling Shed [CR] (Burghmuir).
|/ /1858||Morayshire Railway|
Orton to Craigellachie re-authorised.
Pre-opening inspection of Orton to Rothes line (passed but frustratingly the Elgin to Orton section of the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway fails).
Saltcoats [1st] station re-sited further west at Saltcoats [2nd].
|/ /1860||Alexander Chaplin & Company|
Specialise in building rail-mounted steam cranes
Shipyards opened. (1860s).
|/ /1860||Ambergate Nottingham Boston and East Junction Railway|
Re-named the Nottingham and Grantham Railway and Canal ? Check!
|/ /1860||Vale of Clwyd Railway|
Line from Foryd to the shore, used for obtaining ballast during construction, re-opened.
|/ /1860||Neptune Works|
John Wigham Richardson buys the Walker-on-Tyne Shipyard.
Act passed to convert tramroad into railway, ban private horse-drawn freighters, use locomotives, extend to Nantybwch and rename concern to the Sirhowy Railway Company.
|01/06/1860||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway|
St Leonards re-opened to passengers.
Authorised to convert from a horse-drawn tramway into a railway.
Opened from Cowdenbeath to Kinross.
|03/07/1860||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Inverness and Ross-shire Railway Act received; line to be built from Inverness to Invergordon. Engineer : Joseph Mitchell. Contractor (Inverness to Dingwall) : Meakin.
|20/08/1860||Fife and Kinross Railway|
Joint station opened at Kinross.
Float Junction to Lampits Junction traversed by Royal Train. Sometimes described as the opening - but it opened in 1848. In fact this section closed in 1860.
|19/09/1860||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
First sod cut.
|30/09/1860||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway|
St Leonards re-closed to passengers.
|/ /1861||Kinross-shire RailwayEdinburgh and Northern Railway|
Kinross-shire Railway absorbed by Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.
|/ /1861||Henry Dubs|
Leaves Neilston & Co with key staff to set-up own company
|/03/1861||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Dingwall to Invergordon contract awarded to MacDonald & Grieve.
|/12/1861||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Keystone of the Ness Viaduct inserted by Miss Mitchell, the engineer Joseph Mitchell's daughter.
|/ /1862||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Invergordon station built to Joseph Mitchell's plans
|11/06/1862||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Inverness to Dingwall opened. (Connection made from Inverness Harbour line to new platforms in Inverness station, new railway makes connection with the harbour line. The Harbour line is renamed the Rose Street Curve).
|30/06/1862||Inverness and Ross-shire RailwayInverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway|
Inverness and Ross-shire Railway absorbed by Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.
|/09/1862||Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)|
Denny Shed opened to the east of Denny station near the Ingliston Goods after this date. There was no turntable at the shed, but there was one at the end of the Ingliston Goods. Locomotive turning was done on a triangle of colliery lines. A sub-shed of Stirling Shed [CR].
|/ /1863||Neilson & Co|
James Reid re-appointed manager for 10 years
|/ /1863||Pwllyrhebog Branch, Rhondda Valley Branches (Taff Vale Railway)|
Opened from Tonypandy to Blaenclydach Goods. The line was worked by specially designed 0-6-0 tank engines, of 1884, which were safe to work on the incline. The incline was also cable operated.
|25/03/1863||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Dingwall to Invergordon opened.
Friockheim Junction to Glasterlaw Junction re-opened. Friockheim Viaduct brought back into use.
|11/05/1863||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Ross-shire Extension Act passed authorising Invergordon to Bonar Bridge.
Line opened from Dufftown to Abernethy [Strathspey] via Strathspey Junction. Stations opened at: Strathspey Junction, Aberlour, Carron, Blacksboat, Ballindalloch, Advie [1st], Dalvey [2nd], Cromdale, Grantown-on-Spey East and Abernethy [Strathspey].
Dromore re-named Gatehouse.
|21/07/1863||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway|
Line re-named Banffshire Railway.
|21/07/1863||Formartine and Buchan Railway|
Junction for Fraserburgh re-authorised as Maud in place of Mintlaw.
|/ /1864||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
|01/06/1864||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Invergordon to Meikle Ferry opened.
Roslin [1st] re-named Rosslyn.
Opened from Carreg-hylldrem to Portmadoc
|01/10/1864||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Line extended to Bathgate and re-opened to passengers. Blackhall re-opened and Crofthead [NB] re-opened as Fauldhouse and Crofthead. The Longridge to Bathgate section was first opened to passengers with new stations at Longridge [2nd], Bents and Whitburn.
|01/10/1864||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Meikle Ferry to Bonar Bridge opened.
|/ /1865||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Financial difficulties arise - no share dividends paid until 1874.
|/ /1865||George Russell & Company|
Formed in Motherwell to build rail-mounted steam cranes
Gatehouse re-named Dromore for Gatehouse.
Tarff for Gatehouse re-named Gatehouse [Tarff]. Presumably the Glasgow and South Western Railway (who now owned the Kirkcudbright Railway) was competing with the Caledonian Railway operated Portpatrick Railway for Gatehouse of Fleet traffic - for which neither of the two stations were convenient.
|/ /1866||Gourock Extension Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Gourock Railways and Pier - authorisation to build a line to Gourock and acquire the pier. (Not proceeded with at this time.)
Dromore for Gatehouse re-named Gatehouse.
Bonnyrigg [PR] re-named Bonnyrigg Road.
|/ /1867||Forth and Clyde Canal
Forth and Cart Canal
Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company))
Forth and Clyde Canal (Forth and Clyde Navigation), Monkland Canal, Forth and Cart Canal and various assets such as the Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)) and Drumpeller Railway, bought by the Caledonian Railway to compete with the North British Railway in the Forth - Clyde Valley. The North British Railway is given running powers over the Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)). Caledonian Railway given running powers over the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway to Larbert Junction
|/ /1867||West Riding and Grimsby Railway|
Adwick renamed Adwick-le-Street and Carcroft
|/ /1867||Carnarvonshire Railway|
Opened from Carnarvon to Afonwen (Carnarvon to near Pen-y-groes on re-aligned Nantlle Railway).
|01/05/1867||Waterford and Kilkenny Railway|
|/ /1868||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Waverley station re-building starts, new station designed by James Bell
|02/03/1868||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
A new diversion opened to goods (Abbeyhill and Piershill to Trinity Junction with a spur onto the [North] Leith branch at Bonnington East Junction). This by-passed the cable operated incline between Canal Street [Edinburgh] and Scotland Street.
Bonar Bridge (Inverness and Ross-shire Railway) to Golspie opened with stations at: Invershin, Lairg, Rogart, The Mound and Golspie.
Bonnyrigg Road re-named Bonnyrigg [PR].
|/ /1869||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Parkhill [IRR] renamed Kildary to save confusion with Parkhill [FBR] on the Formartine and Buchan Railway.
|/ /1869||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Clachnaharry station opened.
|/ /1869||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Meikle Ferry station closed.
|/ /1869||John Elder and Co|
John Elder dies at 45, and the partnership company is re-formed
|/ /1869||Blantyre to East Kilbride Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Proposed extension abandoned. (Later re-proposed and opened.)
|/ /1869||Gourock Extension Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Gourock Railways and Pier - proposal abandoned.
|/ /1870||Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company|
Branches from Pontnewynydd Junction to Branches Fork Junction to both Cwmffrwdoer (serving Plas-y-coed, Gellydeg and Tirpentwys Collieries) and Cwmnantddu.
|/03/1870||Brecon and Merthyr Railway|
Aber Bargoed re-opened.
|20/06/1870||Newport Abergavenny and Hereford Railway|
Abergavenny Junction re-built further north.
|/ /1871||Minehead Railway|
|/ /1871||Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway|
Abergavenny Junction station re-built at London and North Western Railway expense.
Gatehouse re-named Dromore.
Gatehouse re-named Tarff.
|/ /1872||Carron Iron Works|
Sells its pig-iron stockpile.
|/ /1872||South Wales Railway|
After gauge conversion of the South Wales Railway a connection was made at Waterloo Junction to the Monmouthshire Canal Tramway. The trans-shipment station was closed.
|/ /1872||Hamilton and Strathaven Railway|
Blantyre curve authorised. This will link Blantyre Junction [CR] on the Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway) to Auchinraith Junction on the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway. The curve was not built at this time and would be re-authorised in 1878.
Thornilee re-named Thornielee.
|26/04/1872||Dingwall and Skye Railway|
Lochluichart [1st], a private platform, becomes public and is re-built further west (Lochluichart [2nd]).
Rosslyn [Peebles Railway] is re-named Rosslynlee. Penicuik [1st] is re-named Pomathorn.
|19/08/1872||Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company|
Inaugurates horse-drawn tram from St Georges Cross to Eglinton Toll.
|10/12/1872||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway|
Two road shed at Baillieston Shed opened in connection with Bredisholm and Baillieston pits. Sub-shed of Polmadie Shed.
|/ /1873||Monkland Canal|
The Vulcan, the first iron-hulled passenger boat, is withdrawn from service.
|/ /1873||Coulson, Cooke & Company shipyard|
Re-locates from St Peters to Wallsend by the Shlesinger, Davis & Company shipyard.
|/ /1873||Glenquoich Lodge|
Glenquoich Lodge starts to be rented by Michael Arthur Bass (the Burton-on-Trent brewer, later Lord Burton).
|/ /1874||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Waverley station re-building ends
|/ /1874||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Much of route between Tebay and Barnard Castle doubled. The whole of the route between Kirkby Stephen and Barnard Castle was doubled - this involved the re-construction of a number of viaducts which were built next to the original ones.
|/ /1874||Hartlepool Dock and Railway|
Rope worked Hesleden bank re-laid on easier gradient for locomotives.
Rosslyn re-named Rosslyn Castle.
|01/06/1874||Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Opened to passenger traffic to Muirkirk [1st]. (Later a second Caledonian Railway line was built from Coalburn to a new Muirkirk [2nd] but the line was not used as the Glasgow and South Western Railway threatened to apply for running powers through to Lanark - however Muirkirk [2nd] did open).
|/ /1875||Port-Downie Iron Works|
Founded, by lock 16
|/ /1875||Bo'ness Dock|
Authorisation to build a wet dock on the east side of Bo'ness Harbour. The dock would be served by the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway with coal hoists at the east end of the dock. A timber basin was also added - located to the south of today's Bo'ness station, now the car park.
|30/05/1875||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
First standard gauge train runs from Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton and Weston-super-Mare [1st] .
|24/05/1876||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
Leading coach of train de-rails at Silverton
|27/07/1876||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
Engine of the up Dutchman de-rails. The track was not well maintained by the Bristol and Exeter in its last day of independence. The Great Western re-lays the line.
|/ /1877||Leadhills and Wanlockhead Light Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
The Leadhills Silver-lead Mining Company approaches the Caledonian Railway to ask them to build a branch to Leadhills. At this time, the line is not built.
The Victoria Viaduct, crossing the north end of Carlisle Citadel station on a north-south axis, opened to road traffic.
|/ /1878||William Baird and Company|
Blast furnaces at Gartsherrie Iron Works start being re-built.
|/ /1878||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Eglinton Street Shed, a four road brick locomotive shed with 42ft turntable, opened to reduce light engine movements to Polmadie Shed via the congested Bridge Street Junction to Gushetfaulds section. The new shed was a sub-shed of Polmadie. Opened in anticipation of Glasgow Central.
|/ /1878||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Ayr Shed [2nd] opened in triangle of lines to the south of Newton-on-Ayr station. Possibly 1879.
|/ /1878||North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway|
Extended from Quellyn to Rhyd-Ddu (now South Snowdon)
|/ /1878||Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation to build the Blantyre West Curve and deviate the Hamilton branch to the north east of its original alignment between Blantyre station and Craighead Junction. This accommodated the Blantyre West Curve - Blantyre Junction [CR] on the Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway) to Auchinraith Junction on the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway curve. This was first authorised in 1872 and opened in 1882. The curve at either end of the deviation remains today.
|25/02/1878||Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway)|
Tay Bridge [1st] inspected by Major-General C. S. Hutchinson for the Board of Trade between the 25th and 27th and is passed.
|01/04/1878||Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway|
Line opened to passengers. Stations at Uddingston [NB], Bothwell [North British], Greenfield (later re-named as Burnbank), Hamilton Peacock Cross and Hamilton [NBR].
Friockheim Junction to Glasterlaw Junction re-opened. Friockheim Viaduct brought back into use.
|14/10/1878||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway
Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Connection at Bridge Street opened - related to the opening of Glasgow Central.
|/ /1879||John Grieve|
Forms company in Motherwell to build rail-mounted steam cranes
|/ /1879||Devon Colliery|
Re-opened by the Alloa Coal Company, the pit called Furnacebank. The beam engine was brought into use. There was a pit at Crophill (by Sauchie Tower and to the west of Furnacebank) linked to Furnacebank by rail.
|/ /1879||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Queen Street station re-built.
Begins as three British armies invade Zululand.
|01/07/1879||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Gordon Street lines opened - Central Station Junction (just north west of Gushetfaulds Junction to Eglinton Street Junction to Bridge Street Junction opened. Strathbungo Junction to Eglinton Street Junction opened.
Last major battle, Zulus defeated.
|/ /1880||Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway)|
Locomotive, Drummond 4-4-0 No 224, retrieved from bottom of River Tay, nicknamed The Diver and put back in service. The letterbox, of Dalhousie station and now at the museum in Bellingham [North Tyne], was made from metal from this engine.
|/ /1880||Fleets Pit (Tranent)|
Re-opened, transferred to Edinburgh Collieries Ltd. Served by the remaining railway standard section of the Tranent Waggonway which re-opens.
|/ /1880||Stockton and Hartlepool Railway|
West Hartlepool station re-built.
|/ /1880||Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)|
Re-opened to passengers.
|/ /1880||Caledonian Railway|
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway Company wound up. Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway Company wound up. Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway - Greenock Guaranteed Company - wound up.
|01/02/1880||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Junction to Broughty Pier re-opened following the Tay Bridge [1st] disaster - Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway).
|01/05/1880||West Riding and Grimsby Railway|
Adwick-le-Street and Carcroft renamed Carcroft and Adwick-le-Street
|/06/1880||Carmarthen Branch (Llanelly Railway and Dock Company)|
|01/06/1880||Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
Wishaw [1st] re-named Wishaw South.
|/ /1881||Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)|
Larbert and Grangemouth Connecting Lines Act - regulation of Grangemouth Branch Junction by the Caledonian Railway.
|20/06/1881||Callander and Oban Railway|
Steamers start running from Ach-na-Cloich up Loch Etive.
|01/10/1881||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Overtown Waterloo re-named Overtown [2nd].
|/ /1882||Straiton Oil Works|
Sold to Midlothian Oil Company, and re-built
|/ /1882||Victoria No. 1 Pit, Ebbw Vale|
Re-opened after new ventilation fans fitted.
|/ /1882||Alexandra (Newport and South Wales) Docks and Railway|
Alexandra (Newport) Dock Company is re-named the Alexandra (Newport and South Wales) Docks and Railway.
|/ /1882||Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway|
Hamilton Peacock Cross re-named Peacock Cross.
|/ /1882||Ardrossan Railway|
Saltcoats station re-sited between Saltcoats [1st] and Saltcoats [2nd] stations.
|/ /1882||Blochairn Steel Works Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Branch authorised - Blochairn Branch (Glasgow Lines).
|01/11/1882||Festiniog and Blaenau Railway|
Line re-opened as a standard gauge line.
|01/12/1882||Glasgow Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Opened from Yoker Junction, Hyndland, to Clydebank [1st] (later Clydebank East). This line was used in conjunction with a ferry over the Clyde and the Stobcross Railway station at Partick for shipyard workers who lived in Govan to travel to the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd] which had re-located from Govan. A line ran west from Clydebank [1st] into the shipyard over the Forth and Cart Canal.
|19/06/1883||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Glasgow Central - Central Station Hotel opened.
|17/11/1883||Gwendraeth Valleys Railway|
|01/03/1884||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
Weston-super-Mare [1st] branch closed and re-opened as a standard gauge loop line via Weston-super-Mare.
|/ /1885||Glamorganshire Canal|
Acquired by the Marquis of Bute for conversion to a railway later in 1898 - not converted.
|/ /1885||Portpatrick Railway|
The Caledonian Railway's lease expires - the Portpatrick Railway and Wigtownshire Railway become jointly run as the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Railway - controlled by the Caledonian Railway, London and North Western Railway, Glasgow and South Western Railway and Midland Railway. The stock was owned by all four companies and operated by the two Scottish companies. The Joint company also owned 4/5 of the Larne and Stranraer Steamship Joint Committee, the remaining 1/5 owned by the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway.
|19/08/1885||Gwendraeth Valleys Railway|
|/ /1886||South Wales Railway|
Tawe Valley bridge, 587yd in timber with 110 ft bowstring centre span 75 ft above water with 36 approach spans, replaced by 389 yd wrought-iron bridge on stone piers with timber decking and 147 ft centre span.
Penar Junction, with the Taff Vale Extension, to Manmoel Colliery re-opened as standard gauge line.
|19/04/1886||Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Airdrie Shed [CR], a wooden shed with two roads, 42ft turntable and coal stage opened by Airdrie [CR] station. (Later a sub-shed of Dawsholm Shed.)
|18/06/1886||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
|/ /1887||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction RailwayAyr and Wigtownshire Railway|
Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway absorbed by Ayr and Wigtownshire Railway, a company formed by James Hall Renton amongst others, to re-finance the line.
|/ /1887||Taff Vale Railway|
Cardiff station re-built as Cardiff Queen Street and connection opened to the South Wales Railway.
|/09/1887||Cornhill Branch (North Eastern Railway)|
Cornhill Branch (Alnwick to Coldstream) opened September 1887 by North Eastern Railway, Alnwick station re-built.
|/ /1888||Clyde Locomotive Works|
Works sold to Sharp Stewart & Co to replace their existing works (Atlas Works [1st] ). The works are re-named the Atlas Works [2nd].
|/ /1888||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
Bonnybridge Shed, a single road timber locomotive shed, opened at Bonnybridge Central. The Caledonian Railway operate this as a sub-shed of Denny Shed.
|/07/1888||Nottingham and Melton Line (Midland Railway)|
London St Pancras - Glasgow St Enoch and Edinburgh Waverley trains start to use line.
|/09/1888||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Four road shed opened at Ardrossan North, (Ardrossan Shed [CR]), with 42ft Cowans Sheldon Works turntable. Built by Robert McAlpine. Sub-shed of Polmadie Shed.
|/ /1889||Marshall, Fleming & Jack|
Formed in Motherwell to build rail-mounted steam cranes having left from George Russell & Company
|30/01/1889||West Highland Railway|
The party are taken by coach from Spean Bridge to Inverlair Lodge. The party set out to walk from Inverlair Lodge to the north end of Loch Treig. The party are rowed from the north end of Loch Treig to the south end and stay overnight at William Frederick Scarlett's (Lord Abinger) Craig-uaine-ach Lodge.
|01/06/1889||Gourock Extension (Caledonian Railway)|
Opened from Greenock Central to Gourock via the Newton Street Tunnel. A new pier was built at Gourock. Stations opened; Gourock, Fort Matilda, Greenock West and Greenock re-built nearby as Greenock Central. Dellingburn Branch connection modified.
|22/07/1889||Swansea Vale and Neath and Brecon Junction Railway|
Midland Railway re-operates Colbren to Ynysgeinon after Sir Edward Watkin takes the company to court.
|/ /1890||Portpatrick Railway|
Tablets introduced on the line. The company went on to employ Mansons tablet-catcher to allow exchanges at speeds up to 76mph.
|14/10/1891||West Highland Railway|
Work re-starts, though the West Highland Railway agrees to pay an extra £10,000.
|/ /1892||Seafield Crude oilworks|
Re-built by Pumpherston Oil Company
|/ /1893||Blaina Branch (Monmouthshire Canal Tramway)|
Abertillery re-built further north
|/ /1893||Leeds and Thirsk Railway|
North Stockton station re-built and re-named Stockton. South Stockton station becomes Thornaby.
|31/07/1893||North Eastern Railway|
Act passed for Hart to Dalton-le-Dale (Seaham) line to improve coastal route. Also included are improvements to the Londonderry Railway.
|26/12/1893||Mao Tse-Tung born|
|/ /1894||Sharp, Stewart and Co Ltd
Build a 4-6-0 for the Highland Railway, who number it 103.
|/ /1894||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
Stoke Canon re-built to the west of the junction with the Exe Valley Railway.
|/ /1894||Alice pit|
Goes into full production when connection to the Fordell Railway opened. The non-standard gauge of the Fordell Railway meant that three rails had to be laid. Coal from the George pit could also go by either system.
|25/05/1894||Greenock and Ayrshire Railway|
Greenock Princes Pier station re-built by the Glasgow and South Western Railway on a grander scale to compete with the Caledonian Railway's Gourock station.
Re-built line opened.
|04/09/1894||West Highland Railway|
Helensburgh to Garelochhead train de-railed at Woodend Farm Crossing by a stone placed on the line.
|/ /1896||William Baird and Company|
Blast furnaces at Gartsherrie Iron Works all re-built and by-product plant installed.
|/ /1896||Scottish Central Railway|
Stirling Shed [CR] re-built as a two ended shed after removal of a road to the south of the site. A 50ft turntable was opened by the truncated road at the south east of the site.
|/ /1896||South Wales Railway, Taff Vale Railway|
Bute Street Junction between the lines closed on opening of new fly-over east of Cardiff General.
|/ /1897||Bute Docks Company|
Re-named the Cardiff Railway Company.
|/ /1897||Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway|
Company re-named the Great Central Railway.
|08/05/1897||[[Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Extended from Clydebank Junction to Dalmuir. The original terminus, Clydebank [1st], is left on a short branch with a east facing junction, Clydebank Junction, and is re-named Clydebank East. Dalmuir [1st] is replaced by Dalmuir.
Re-named from the Bute Docks Company.
|/ /1898||Carmyllie Railway|
Light Railway Order - authorisation to make line into a Light Railway.
|/ /1898||Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)|
Doubling of Denny branch and extension to Ingliston Goods - extension of time to complete.
|/ /1899||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Milngavie station was re-built and a canopy was added to the original station building.
|/ /1899||Vale of Glamorgan Railway|
Line re-opened with temporary Porthkerry viaduct.
|/ /1899||Wigham Richardson & Company Ltd|
Company created to run Neptune Works at Walker-on-Tyne.
|/ /1899||Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)|
Re-closed to passengers.
Dalbeallie Distillery Siding converted to a station - Dalbeallie.
|08/09/1899||Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway|
De-railment of Talla Railway locomotive at Broughton [2nd] blocks main line.
|/ /1900||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Carnoustie rebuilt. (Often said to be relocated from west side of level crossing to east side - but maps show the station clearly on the east side before 1900.)
|08/01/1900||Vale of Glamorgan Railway|
Porthkerry Park viaduct re-build completed.
|/ /1901||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Inverurie Works - Carriages - opened.
|/ /1901||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Line between Clachnaharry and Lentran doubled.
|01/05/1901||Gwendraeth Valleys Railway|
|/ /1902||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Inverurie Works - Locomotives - opened.
|/ /1902||Alloa Railway|
Single road timber engine shed Alloa Shed [CR] opened in Alloa Goods yard. A sub-shed of Stirling.
|/ /1902||C.S. Swan & Hunter|
Former Schlesinger, Davis & Company site re-developed to build large vessels.
|/ /1902||Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)|
Re-opened to passengers.
|/ /1903||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Wemyss Bay station and pier re-built in grand style by the Caledonian Railway.
|/ /1903||West Somerset Mineral Railway|
Watchet Harbour damaged by storms and re-built.
|27/07/1903||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
A busy Isle of Man boat train from Ardrossan Winton Pier over-runs the buffers at platform 8 in St Enoch and two carriages are telescoped and hit the stations glass roof. 16 were killed and 27 injured. The train was apparently terminated in a shorter platform than usual due to renovation work and the driver, Henry Northcott, had assumed a greater braking distance.
|/08/1903||Leadhills Silver-lead Mining Company|
Leadhill Mining Company
Leadhills Silver-lead Mining Company is wound up and the Leadhills Mining Company replaces it from 25 September 1903.
|01/08/1903||Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Double track line opened to freight from Newhaven Junction to Seafield Junction [CR] and South Leith [CR]. (Two-platform passenger stations at Newhaven [Leith New Lines], Ferry Road and Leith Walk [CR] built but not opened).
|/ /1904||Stockton and Hartlepool Railway|
West Hartlepool station re-built.
Billingham to Port Clarence trains become petrol-electic railcars.
|/ /1905||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway|
Branch to Bedlay Colliery opened - although a tramway occupied most of the route previously.
|/ /1905||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Inverurie Works - Permanent Way - opened.
|/ /1905||Aberdare Railway|
Mill Street re-opened.
|/04/1905||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Balquhidder Shed, a single road timber shed with a 60ft turntable opened at Balquhidder. A sub-shed of Perth.
Alloa Bridge re-opened.
|/ /1906||David Hutchenson and Co|
David MacBrayne Ltd
Company re-named David MacBrayne Ltd
|/ /1906||Craigend Colliery|
Carron Iron Works takes over operation from United Collieries Ltd of this colliery near Standburn. Pits re-developed.
|/ /1906||Edinburgh Corporation|
Act passed to allow extension of Liberton Tramway on to Eskbank, Dalkeith and Bonnyrigg. Act re-newed in 1911 but lapse later.
|/ /1906||Lealt Valley Diatomite Railway|
Line re-laid - possibly to allow use of locomotive.
|/ /1906||Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)|
Re-closed to passengers.
|/03/1906||William Dixon Ltd|
Company liquidated and re-constructed.
|/ /1907||Alexander Jack|
Forms company in Motherwell to build rail-mounted steam cranes
|/ /1907||Taff Vale Railway|
Pontypridd station re-built with an island platform and five bay platforms.
|/ /1907||Falkirk and District Tramways Company|
During Tryst Fair services run regularly only anti-clockwise as the tramway was single track with passing places.
|28/09/1907||South Wales Railway|
Accident at Ebbw Junction when freight over-runs signal and hits passenger train.
|/ /1908||Bainsford Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Bainsford Branch (North British Railway)|
By-pass line from Swing Bridge Junction to Fouldubs Junction opened, the western half was owned by the North British Railway (part of the former line to the Carron Iron Works) and the eastern by the Caledonian Railway.
|/ /1908||William Beardmore & Co Ltd|
Mossend Iron and Steel Works re-building complete.
|/ /1909||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Clachnaharry Swing Bridge installed.
|04/07/1909||West Somerset Mineral Railway|
The Somerset Mineral Syndicate sub-lets the line from the Ebbw Vale company. The line is re-opened between a new jetty at Watchet and Brendon Hill where a 2 foot mine line extends the railway. Gupwrthy is not re-opened.
|/ /1910||Union Canal|
Union Canal falls into dis-use and dis-repair
|/ /1910||Lanarkshire Mines|
1,737,584 tons produced this year - the peak.
|/ /1910||Manor-Powis Coal Company|
|/ /1910||Mine rescue team|
First mine rescue team set-up at Cowdenbeath.
|/ /1910||London and North Western Railway, South Wales|
Run-away coal train piles up after being diverted onto a dead-end siding by signalman on Ebbw Vale Branch.
|/08/1910||Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Some doubling of the Douglas Branch to Lanark Racecourse took place in preparation for the Lanark Aviation meeting and the huge number of expected visitors. Lanark Race-course station was by the meeting site.
|/ /1911||Breich Colliery Pits 1,2|
Cable-hauled railway, which crossed the river Almond on a viaduct, opened between pits.
|/ /1911||Manor-Powis 1|
|/ /1911||Great Western Railway|
A Cwmtillery to Abertillery Milnes-Daimler bus service starts.
|/ /1911||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Loop installed at Conon.
|/ /1911||Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)|
Re-opened to passengers.
Dromore re-named Gatehouse of Fleet.
|/ /1913||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Clachnaharry station closed.
|/ /1913||Denburn Valley Line (Great North of Scotland Railway)|
Re-construction of Aberdeen Joint begins.
|/ /1913||Scottish Central Railway|
Stirling station re-built by the Caledonian Railway.
|/ /1913||Caerphilly to Cardiff Line (Rhymney Railway)|
Caerphilly station re-built with four platforms and a bay platform.
|01/08/1913||Earl of Carlisles WaggonwayNewcastle and Carlisle Railway|
Brampton Town branch re-instated.
|01/08/1913||Invergarry and Fort Augustus RailwayNorth British Railway|
Line re-opened by North British Railway.
|01/08/1913||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway|
|/ /1914||Manor-Powis Colliery|
In full production with 3 shafts
|/ /1914||Victoria No. 5 Pit, Ebbw Vale|
Re-opened as Prince of Wales, Victoria.
|/ /1915||South Wales Railway|
Newport locomotive shed re-located further west from by station goods yard to Ebbw Junction.
|/ /1916||Galloway Engineering Co|
Formed to manufacture Beardmore, Halford, Pullinger aero-engines.
|/01/1917||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway|
|/ /1919||Scottish Oils|
Formed, rail-accessed workshops and office established at Middleton Hall (Mid Calder).
|/ /1919||Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway (North British Railway)|
Methil Dock No 3 re-opened.
|/ /1919||Bon-Accord Pneumatic Tool Company|
Formed in Aberdeen.
|/ /1919||Arran Barytes Mine|
Mine re-opened and a railway line built from mine to concrete hoppers and a pier on Sannox Bay.
|/ /1919||Portpatrick Railway|
Mansons tablet-catchers removed.
|01/01/1919||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Overtown [2nd] re-opened.
Re-opened to passengers
|01/02/1919||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Leith Walk station re-opened.
|01/02/1919||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
West Ferry and Elliot Junction re-opened.
|/03/1919||Callander and Oban Railway|
Maid of Morven observation car re-introduced.
|01/03/1919||Cathcart District Railway|
Pollokshields East re-opened.
|02/03/1919||Solway Junction Railway|
Abbey Junction [CR] re-opened.
|01/04/1919||~Cheshire Lines Committee Railway|
Ainsdale Beach re-opened
|01/05/1919||Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)|
Sinclairtown, Halbeath, Kingskettle re-opened.
|01/06/1919||Cathcart District Railway|
|01/06/1919||Glasgow Central Railway|
Glasgow Green re-opened
|01/06/1919||Arbroath and Forfar Railway|
|02/06/1919||Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway|
Line re-opened to passengers, Peacock Cross not re-opened.
|01/03/1920||Earl of Carlisles WaggonwayNewcastle and Carlisle Railway|
Brampton Town branch re-opened.
|03/01/1921||~Cavan, Leitrim and Roscommon Light Railway and Tramway|
Alloa Bridge re-opened.
The Alloa Bridge re-opens following repairs. The bridge was rebuilt with some piers entirely replaced and additional cross bracing added.
Loch Leven station closed
|/ /1922||Plashetts Colliery Waggonway|
Far Colliery miners rows and Bank Top miners rows re-built.
Pilrig to Liberton tramway re-opened as electric. Work took 53 weeks.
|/11/1922||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Muir of Ord's station buildings burn down.
|/ /1923||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed starts to be re-built in brick.
|/ /1923||South Wales Railway|
Re-construction of Newport station begins.
|/ /1923||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
0-8-4 tanks by H.P.M. Beams introduced on the London and North Western Railway, South Wales.
|/ /1923||Musselburgh and District Electric Light and Traction Co Ltd|
Through cars introduced onto Edinburgh network - trams run from Port Seton to Edinburgh GPO.
|01/10/1923||Blantyre to East Kilbride Line (Caledonian Railway)|
East Kilbride to Hamilton (Hunthill Junction) re-opened.
|/ /1924||William Beardmore & Co Ltd|
Aeroplane department re-opens
|/ /1924||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed re-building in brick complete.
|/ /1924||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Gauntleted junction at Clachnaharry station replaced by a turnout slightly further north.
|/ /1924||Lambton & Hetton Collieries Ltd.|
James Joicey & Co Ltd.
Merge to form Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd. Main works and engine shed were located at Philadelphia by Houghton-le-Spring.
Ardrossan Pier re-named Ardrossan Winton Pier.
|/ /1925||Fort William Smelter|
The Lochaber Narrow Gauge Railway opened from the Fort William Smelter to Loch Treig. The line was opened in connection with the construction of the Aluminium works. Rather than close afterwards it was retained and improved for maintenance on the somewhat remote pipeline which served the hydro-electric scheme at the works.
Re-built. Work carried out by the Blantyre Engineering Company.
Passenger service starts between Pontypool Road and Penmaen Halt and Oakdale Halt via Penar Junction. Rhiw-Syr-Dafdd signalbox to Colliers Arms doubled.
|11/07/1927||Cowbridge and Aberthaw Railway|
|/ /1928||Taff Vale Extension|
Crumlin Viaduct re-plated by the Great Western Railway.
Hawthornden re-named Rosewell and Hawthornden.
|22/07/1928||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Northbound freight train de-rails just north of Pinwherry loop, after passing through the tightly curved station at speed.
Re-built with new washery and screening plant
|/ /1930||Mossbeath Pit|
Re-built and linked to Kirkford Colliery, Cowdenbeath No 10 (Cowdenbeath).
|/ /1930||Lealt Valley Diatomite Railway|
Diatomite extraction re-begins at Loch Cuithir by the Skye Mineral Syndicate Company. It halts shortly afterwards.
Kelty station closed
Blairadam station closed
|27/01/1931||West Highland Railway|
De-railment in Rannoch Moor.
|/ /1932||Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway)|
Buchanan Street station re-built. Reconditioned canopies from Ardrossan North, on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway,were erected.
|/ /1932||South Wales Railway|
Cardiff General re-built. Riverside station becomes an island platform.
|/01/1932||Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway|
|/05/1932||Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway|
|07/08/1932||West Highland Railway|
Loch Treig diversion and tunnel opened. The line was re-aligned at a higher level as the Loch became a reservoir, part of the Lochaber Smelter scheme.
|/ /1934||William Denny and Brothers Ltd|
Denny-Brown stabliser introduced
|/ /1934||Leadhills Mining Company|
Wanlockhead mines re-open and then re-closed.
|05/12/1935||Glasgow District Subway|
Glasgow District Subway electrified with a third rail and re-opened with a new name.
|/ /1937||Deeside Railway
Aberdeen Joint (Caledonian Railway)
Denburn Valley Line (Great North of Scotland Railway)
Great North of Scotland Railway|
Local Aberdeen Suburban service withdrawn. Deeside - Millitimber, Murtle, Bieldside, West Cults, Pitfodels Halt, Ruthrieston, Holborn Street closed. Denburn - Schoolhill and Hutcheon Street closed. GNSR main line - Don Street, Woodside, Persley Halt, Bankhead, Stoneywood closed.
|/ /1937||Colvilles Ltd|
Re-structuring begins which will ultimately lead to the construction of the Ravenscraig Steel Works.
|/ /1937||Rhymney Valley Branch (Barry Dock and Railways)|
Penyrhoel and Llanbradach viaducts demolished. The large girders are dropped from the piers and cut-up.
|/ /1938||Ebbw Vale Company Works|
Re-equipped and Ironworks, Steelworks and mills re-opened as the first continuous wide-strip mill in the UK for tinplate.
|04/07/1938||Brechin and Edzell District Railway|
Edzell to Brechin re-opened to passengers.
|26/09/1938||Brechin and Edzell District Railway|
Edzell to Brechin (excluded) re-closed to passengers.
|/ /1939||Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway|
Leadburn to Macbie Hill re-opened to freight.
|/ /1939||Portpatrick Railway|
Brysons tablet-catcher installed. Only allows 50mph running (Manson's tablet had allowed faster running), but is portable.
|11/09/1939||Balerno Loop (Caledonian Railway)|
Balerno (excluded) - Ravelrig Junction (excluded) closed to passengers.
|/ /1940||Polmaise 3 and 4|
Timber headframes re-built in steel
|/ /1940||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Northern part of the Polmadie Mineral Sidings (Shawfield Yard) traffic sidings incorporated into Polmadie Shed during re-construction of the shed. A new coaling plant was erected.
Many Allied troops are returned to Britain by the Little Ships. Among these was the Clyde Paddle Steamer Waverley (III), which had been fitted with a deck-gun; on one journey the vessel was sunk.
|23/06/1940||Dingwall and Skye Railway|
Fodderty Junction box re-opens.
|/01/1942||Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)|
Blairgowrie Shed closed, but not demolished. A sub-shed of Dundee.
|04/08/1942||Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway|
Closed for upgrading for heavy military freight as the line connected the north to Southampton and other ports which were busy with preparations for D-day. (A bus service replacement was arranged).
|15/11/1942||West Highland Railway|
Camus-na-ha Signal Box opened.
|/ /1943||Bothwell Castle 3&4 Colliery / Prior Colliery|
Government take over mine due to low output, mine re-constructed.
|08/03/1943||Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway|
Re-opened after doubling between Didcot and Newbury and lengthening of the loops on the Newbury to Winchester section. A new junction was put in at Worthy for direct access from the London and South Western Railway to the Newbury line, leaving Winchester Chesil on a loop.
British, American, Canadian and other troops land on the Normandy beaches. The Clyde Paddle Steamer Jeannie Deans (II) was the command vessel for the construction of the Mulberry Harbours.
|/ /1945||Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway|
Pit formerly served by railway re-opens. Served by road instead.
|23/07/1945||Vale of Rheidol Railway|
|23/07/1945||Vale of Neath Railway|
|/06/1946||West Highland Railway|
Restaurant cars re-start.
Closed between St David's Harbour and Lady Anne and William pits. St David's Harbour closed. Coal sent by the remaining portion of the Fordell Railway from Lady Anne and William pits to the Alice pit for trans-shipment.
|/ /1947||Maidens and Dunure Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Heads of Ayr [2nd] (Butlins Camp) to Alloway Junction re-opened for passengers.
|/ /1947||Scottish Central Railway|
Stirling Shed [CR] re-building begins as entrance arches need replacement.
Opened to the south-east of Alloa Harbour to replace Craigrie Pit.
Pomathorn re-named Pomathorn Halt.
|23/10/1947||Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway (Great Western Railway)|
Gloucester T Line (Tramway Jnct - T Station) opened.
|/ /1948||Tillycoultry Mine|
Re-opened after National Coal Board re-construction.
|/ /1948||Sheffield Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway|
Work on new double track Woodhead Tunnel begins.
|/08/1948||Border Counties Railway|
Saughtree station re-opened.
|/ /1949||End of Chinese Civil War, Peoples Republic of China established by Mao Tse-Tung|
|/ /1950||Glencraig Colliery|
|/ /1950||National Coal Board|
Over-production as demand drops.
|/ /1950||Straiton Lime Works|
Works and railways badly run-down
|/ /1950||Leadhills Mining Company|
Glencrieff Mine, Wanlockhead, re-opened.
Gatehouse of Fleet re-opened to passengers.
Peebles [2nd] re-named Peebles (East).
|/11/1950||Lauder Light Railway|
Re-opened to serve food-depot by Lauder station
|17/12/1950||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Barrmill Junction to Giffen Junction re-opened.
|/ /1951||East Plean Colliery|
|/ /1951||Scottish Central Railway|
New Stirling South Shed round-house is set-out with a turntable from Polmadie Shed, however the work is abandoned and demolished.
|07/05/1951||Chard Branch LSWR (London and South Western Railway)|
|07/05/1951||Chard Branch BER (Bristol and Exeter Railway)|
|10/09/1951||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway|
Passenger trains running from Sunnyside Junction to Whifflet South Junction through Coatbridge Central [NB] for the Bothwell [North British] service cease to run - last regular passenger service over this section of line.
|29/10/1951||East Somerset Railway|
Cheddar Valley and Yatton Railway (Bristol and Exeter Railway)
Wells Tucker Street re-opens on closure of Priory Road
|/ /1952||Treforest Line (Cardiff Railway)|
Coryton northwards to Nantgarw Colliery closed on opening of a spur to Nantgarw by-products Plant from the Taff Vale Railway.
|/ /1952||Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway|
[Mount Vernon [NB] ]] re-named Mount Vernon North.
Saltcoats re-named Saltcoats Central.
|28/02/1953||Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway|
Uddingston [NB] re-named Uddingston East.
Stranraer re-named Stranraer Town.
Ardrossan re-named Ardrossan Town.
|27/07/1953||Cease-fire in Korean war|
|/ /1954||Gartshore Colliery|
|/ /1954||Polmaise Colliery Pit No 5|
National Coal Board plans re-construction.
|/ /1954||Manor Powis Colliery|
National Coal Board plan to re-build no 3 pit and a drift mine nearby.
|14/06/1954||Sheffield Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway|
New Woodhead Tunnel opens and electric services over line commence.
No 3 shaft sinking begins on reclaimed land o the south of no 1 and 2 pits. No 2 pit is re-built. Spoil is dumped in the Forth and connects the Preston Island to the mainland.
|/11/1954||Merthyr Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway|
Abergavenny engine shed becomes sign-on point.
|/ /1955||Seafield Colliery|
Drilling rig used to check the under-sea reserves
Excursion train de-railed at Wormit.
Loch Skerrow Halt re-named Lochskerrow.
|/ /1956||Glasgow Central Railway|
Line re-signalled with power boxes at Bridgeton Cross [CR] and Stobcross.
|/ /1957||Polquhain Colliery (Rankinston)|
Re-built by the National Coal Board.
|/ /1958||Ravenscraig Steel WorksGeneral Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway|
General Terminus re-built for importing coal and iron ore as the facilities at Rothesay Dock and the Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway) were not sufficient.
Peebles (East) re-named Peebles.
|09/09/1958||Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Newhaven signal box re-painted for visit of King Olav of Norway.
|/ /1959||Douglas Colliery|
Re-built by the National Coal Board.
|/ /1959||Glasgow City and District Railway|
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level re-built from four platforms to two. The island platform in the middle is isolated from passengers and the lines reduced from four to two.
|/ /1960||Polkemmet Mine (Whitburn)|
Re-built by the National Coal Board, to include a preparation plant. Produced 12000 tons of coking coal per week for the Ravenscraig Steel Works.
|/ /1960||Kames Colliery|
|/01/1960||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway|
Class 303 Blue trains re-introduced.
|04/04/1960||West Highland Railway|
|13/06/1960||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Beauly station closed.
|13/06/1960||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Alness station closed.
|/12/1960||Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway|
Leadburn to Macbie Hill re-closed to freight.
|02/01/1961||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Approach lines to the station re-signaled to use the new bridge only. The electropneumatic power frame signal box on the bridge removed.
Rogart re-named Rogart Halt. (Later the name reverted).
Closed. The current section by the lake is a re-opening called the Llanberis Lake Railway.
|/09/1962||Didcot Newbury and Southampton Railway|
Didcot to Newbury closed (Dismantled from Newbury to Didcot - down line lifted first).
|/ /1963||British Railways|
Beeching Report; Re-shaping of Britains Railways Published.
|/ /1963||Straiton Lime Works|
Railway line re-laid complete with new loop at Straiton
|/ /1963||South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway|
Belah viaduct, on Kirkby Stephen to Barnard Castle line, demolished for scrap - poem found in a support column.
|/ /1964||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)|
Fountainhall becomes de-staffed.
|/ /1964||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
Locking Road, the excursion station in Weston-super-Mare, closed
|/ /1965||Portpatrick Railway|
Troop trains run over line (Stranraer Harbour - Woodburn (Wansbeck Railway)) for Northern Ireland.
|/ /1965||Sunderland Station (North Eastern Railway)|
Station re-built and reduced to one island platform.
Saltcoats Central re-named Saltcoats.
Dr Beechings The re-shaping of Britains Railways report issued.
|16/04/1965||SLS and Branch Line Society|
Organise a brake-van trip around Ayrshire.
|14/06/1965||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway
Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Annbank to Mauchline re-opened to passengers (with the closure of the Port Road the trains are diverted). The number of trains between Challoch Junction, Girvan and Ayr increases after closure of the Portpatrick Railway.
|14/06/1965||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Blackhouse Junction to Hawkhill Junction re-opened for passengers. The re-opened curve was not on the original double track alignment but closer to Ayr MPD.
|14/06/1965||Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Wishaw Central re-named Wishaw.
|29/09/1965||Border Union Railway (North British Railway)|
Shankend crash; south-bound 02:22 freight strikes a stationary vehicle on the railway at Shankend and derails.
|18/10/1965||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Forres [2nd] to Aviemore closed to passengers. Stations closed at Boat of Garten, Broomhill, Grantown-on-Spey West, Dava and Dunphail. Dallas Dhu Siding (excluded) to Boat of Garten (excluded) closed to all traffic. Both Forres West Junction and Forres East Junction to Forres South Junction closed to passengers. Further south on the retained line Kincraig closed.
|/ /1966||Swan Hunter Group Ltd|
Create Swan Hunter & Tyne Shipbuilders Ltd. for shipbuilding on the Tyne. Later re-named Swan Hunter Shipbuilders Ltd.
Newport-on-Tay East to Tayport closed, replacement bus starts.
Newport-on-Tay East to Tayport closed to all traffic.
Edinburgh Princes Street - Slateford Junction closed to freight.
|26/09/1966||Greenock and Ayrshire Railway|
Greenock Princes Pier to Kilmacolm (excluded) closed to freight. A single track from Greenock Princes Pier to Cartsburn Junction retained for possible re-instatement.
|/ /1967||Manor-Powis Colliery|
Main pits closed
|/ /1967||Greenock Albert Harbour [Dock]|
Closed, and re-built as the Clydeport Container Terminal.
Newport-on-Tay East to Tay Bridge South Junction closed to freight.
|16/01/1967||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Line re-opened between Bridge or Earn Junction and Ladybank after clearing rockfall at Clatchard Craig Quarry and re-instating line.
Newport-on-Tay East to Tayport bus ceases.
|06/11/1967||West Riding and Grimsby Railway|
Carcroft and Adwick-le-Street closed
Newport-on-Tay East to Tayport official closure date (closed early due to Tay Road Bridge works).
|06/01/1969||Northampton and Market Harborough Branch (London and North Western Railway)|
Line re-opened for through passenger trains.
Newport-on-Tay East to Dundee (Tay Bridge South Junction) closed to passengers.
Wormit to Newport-on-Tay closed to passengers.
|/ /1970||Glasgow Central Railway|
Botanic Gardens station building destroyed by fire. This also burned the below-ground buildings at platform level.
|/ /1970||Halls Tramway|
Penar Junction to Hall's Road Junction re-opened to allow closure of southern portion of the Sirhowy Tramroad. Markham Colliery traffic diverted over re-opened line rather than via the Tredegar Junction and lower section of the Sirhowy line.
|/ /1970||Caerphilly to Cardiff Line (Rhymney Railway)|
Station re-built with two platforms and a bus interchange.
|/ /1970||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Line between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie re-doubled. This was done in connection with the oil industry and anticipated extra traffic. The traffic did not increase as much as expected but the double track has been retained.
|05/01/1970||Kinross-shire Railway Fife and Kinross Railway Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)|
Perth (Hilton Junction) to Cowdenbeath North Junction closed to passengers.
|05/01/1970||Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)Kinross-shire RailwayFife and Kinross Railway|
Cowdenbeath to Perth closed to passengers, Bridge of Earn [2nd] to Milnathort closed to goods, Cowdenbeath to Milnathort singled.
|13/03/1970||Dingwall and Skye Railway|
Strathcarron to Stromeferry re-opens (following major blockage).
|13/03/1970||Kyle of Lochalsh Extension (Highland Railway)|
Strathcarron to Strome Ferry re-opens.
Fife and Kinross Railway
Milnathort to Kelty North Junction closed to freight.
Fife and Kinross Railway|
Cowdenbeath to Milnathort closed to goods.
|07/06/1971||Greenock and Ayrshire Railway|
Greenock Container Port (formerly Princes Pier) to Cartsburn Junction to Garvel Dock Branch Junction re-opened to freight and a new portion from Garvel Dock Branch Junction to Containerbase Junction opened.
|/ /1972||Bristol and Exeter Railway|
Weston-super-Mare loop singled except at station
|16/02/1972||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Tokenless block introduced between Ladybank and Hilton Junction. Bridge of Earn Junction signal-box closed.
|/05/1972||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Newburgh [2nd] loop extended and each track signalled for bi-directional working.
|01/05/1972||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (Caledoniand Railway)|
Coatbridge Central to Rutherglen Junction re-opened for Glasgow Central to Perth workings
|10/07/1972||Northampton and Market Harborough Branch (London and North Western Railway)|
Line re-opened for through passenger trains.
Fife and Kinross Railway|
Kelty Coup to Cowdenbeath North Junction closed to freight.
|26/03/1973||Kyle of Lochalsh Extension (Highland Railway)|
Ullapool - Stornoway ferry service starts.
|07/05/1973||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Alness station re-opened.
|25/06/1973||Devon Valley Railway|
Dollar to Alloa (Co-op Coal Siding) closed to freight on closure of Dollar 4 and 5
Closed between Cwmbach Junction and Aberdare on re-opening of Vale of Neath Railway route. This allowed road improvements, elimination of a level crossing, and property development and was financed by the council.
|/ /1974||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed closed when West Coast Main Line electrification reaches Glasgow. The site was re-developed as a carriage depot.
|05/05/1975||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Ayr to Mauchline re-closed to passengers.
|05/05/1975||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Barassie to Kilmarnock re-opened to passengers (on closure of Annbank to Mauchline to passengers).
|/09/1975||Llangollen and Corwen Railway|
Open day to launch the re-opening of the line as the Llangollen Railway. Line has 60 feet of track.
|06/10/1975||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Bridge of Earn Junction to Ladybank re-opened for passengers (after closure of the Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)).
Minehead to Blue Anchor re-opened as the West Somerset Railway [Preserved] .
|03/05/1976||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Gartcosh Junction to Gartsherrie South Junction re-opened to passengers.
West Somerset Railway|
Blue Anchor to Williton re-opened.
|/ /1977||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
St Enoch station starts to be demolished after having been a car-park. Rubble used to fill the Queens Dock (Glasgow).
|/ /1978||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Aviemore Speyside to Boat of Garten re-opened.
|02/01/1978||Garston and Liverpool Railway|
Mersey Road and Aigburth renamed Aigburth and re-opened
|07/05/1978||#West Somerset Railway#|
Williton to Stogumber re-opened
|/ /1979||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Kincraig loop re-opened.
|/01/1979||Ravenscraig Steel WorksLargs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Hunterston Ore Terminal opened with a 3500 ton crane for ore and 2500 ton crane for coal. Hunterston Ore Terminal to Holm Junction re-opened to freight.
|06/06/1979||#West Somerset Railway#|
Stogumber to Bishops Lydeard re-opened
|/07/1979||Stirling and Dunfermline Railway|
Kincardine Junction (excluded) to Oakley (excluded) closed. Signalling removed at the former Alloa station and Alloa Co-op Siding and the line from Kincardine Junction run as two parallel single tracks from Alloa to Alloa West Junction.
|/10/1979||Perth and Dundee Railway|
5 killed when two trains collide near Invergowrie when one over-runs a signal.
|05/11/1979||Glasgow Central Railway|
The Argyle Line; Stobcross to Strathclyde Junction and Rutherglen Junction re-opened to passengers. Stations at; Finnieston [2nd], Anderston, Glasgow Central Low Level, Argyle Street, Dalmarnock and Rutherglen.
|/ /1980||Alston Branch (Newcastle and Carlisle Railway)|
Decision taken to open a narrow-gauge line northwards from Alston.
|/ /1980||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Kilmarnock to Barassie re-opened to passengers.
|/ /1980||Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway|
Maryhill Shopping Centre built over the remains of Maryhill Central station. A single-track sized tunnel is left under the station with a single platform.
|/ /1980||Boddam Branch (Great North of Scotland Railway)|
Narrow-gauge Port Erroll Narrow Gauge Railway (near the former Cruden Bay station) opened.
|16/04/1980||Glasgow District Subway|
The Glasgow District Subway re-opens as the Glasgow Underground following extensive renovation and modernisation.
|22/05/1981||Aberystwyth and Welch Coast Railway|
Barmouth Viaduct re-opened to DMUs.
|05/10/1981||Newcastle and Carlisle Railway|
|/ /1983||Alston Branch (Newcastle and Carlisle Railway)|
Line re-opens as the South Tynedale Railway.
|/ /1983||Mallaig Extension (West Highland Railway)|
Re-introduction of observation cars in the summer.
|/ /1983||Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway|
Preservation of the alignment between Partick West and Possil, for possible re-opening, is abandoned.
|/ /1983||Kidwelly and Burry Port Railway|
Kidwelly to Kidwelly Junction re-opened
|/ /1984||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Dis-used warehouses at Bell Street College Goods start to be converted into flats.
|/ /1984||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Glasgow Central to Stranraer DMUs withdrawn and replaced with locomotive hauled 'SEALINK' slam-door stock.
|/ /1984||Franklin Expedition|
Autopsies carried out on the bodies of John Torrington, John Hartnell and William Braine who died during the 1845/46 over-winter and were buried on Beechy Island. Lead levels, probably from the solder used to seal the cans of meat taken my the expedition, were high and may have contributed to their deaths.
|12/05/1984||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Kilmaurs station re-opened.
|12/05/1984||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Auchinleck station re-opened.
|10/07/1984||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Train crash when train hits cow near Polmont. The light driving trailer of the push-pull lifted off the track. 13 were killed and 17 injured.
|/ /1985||Barry Dock and Railways|
Barry Docks office building re-opened after a fire.
|/ /1985||Stirling and Dunfermline Railway
Kincardine Line (North British Railway)|
Longannet Power Station (excluded) to Alloa West Junction (excluded) out of use. Track left in place for possible re-opening.
|/ /1985||Stirling and Dunfermline Railway|
Alloa co-op Siding to Alloa West Junction (excluded) closed. Line lifted from Alloa Co-op Siding to Alloa West Junction.
|13/05/1985||Scottish Central Railway|
Bridge of Allan station re-opened on a new site to the immediate south of the old station, Bridge of Allan [1st]. The station included a large car park.
|30/06/1985||Duke of Sutherlands Railway|
|/ /1986||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Invergordon Aluminium Smelter sidings closed.
|24/03/1986||Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway|
Re-opened to passengers with stations at Uphall, Livingston North, and Bathgate.
|29/09/1986||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Electrification and re-signaling of Paisley to Ayr complete.
Ardrossan Town re-opened.
|/ /1988||Bairds and Dalmellington Limited|
Track re-laid from alongside the Dunaskin Central Washer (now closed) to Chalmerston Loading Pad. Dunaskin Central Washer sidings lifted. Connection made to preserved line at the former Minnivey Nos 4,5.
|/ /1988||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Line re-opened to freight from Dalrymple Junction to Dunaskin Central Washer. Cutler Sidings lifted.
|07/02/1989||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Ness Viaduct, Inverness, collapses, separating the Thurso, Wick and Kyle of Lochalsh lines from the rest of the network. Dingwall becomes the southern terminus, Muir of Ord closes (although served by a minibus) and becomes a train maintenance depot. Buses operate between Inverness and Dingwall while a new bridge is built.
|07/02/1989||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Ness Viaduct, Inverness, collapses.
|/07/1989||Yoker Re-signaling Scheme|
Re-signaling complete. Boxes at Helensburgh Central, Craigendoran, Dumbarton Central, Dalmuir Park, Singer, Milngavie, Westerton, Hyndland, Clydebank Dock, High Street East Junction, Bellgrove, Parkhead, Shettleston, Heatheryknowe Junction, Sunnyside Junction, Airdrie replaced by the new Yoker Signalling Centre.
|/ /1990||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Powderhall to Piershill Junction re-opened to freight for refuse trains traffic.
|16/06/1990||#West Somerset Railway#|
Bishops Lydeard to Norton Fitzwarren re-opened.
|28/07/1990||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Paisley Canal line re-opened to passengers from Glasgow to a new Paisley Canal station.
|/ /1991||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
New Cumnock re-opened.
|/06/1992||Monktonhall Colliery (Millerhill)|
Leased by workers co-op
|02/12/1993||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Glasgow Queen Street High Level to Maryhill re-opened for local passenger service (Stations at; Maryhill, Lambhill, Summerston, Possilpark, Ashfield), trains continue to Knightswood West Junction to swap tracks.
|25/06/1994||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
The driver and a passenger are killed when a train de-rails near what later became Drumfrochar station, after vandals placed concrete blocks on the line, and struck a bridge.
|27/06/1994||Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Sanquhar station re-opened.
|/ /1996||Alston Branch (Newcastle and Carlisle Railway)|
Lambley Viaduct re-opened after restoration as a footpath.
|/ /1996||Bedale Branch (York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway)
Bedale and Leyburn Railway
Hawes Branch (North Eastern Railway)|
Line re-opened to Redmire for military traffic to Catterick Camp.
|/12/1996||New Cumnock Waggonway|
Knockshinnoch Washery to Bank Junction (Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway) re-opened to freight.
|/ /1997||Stobcross Railway|
Partickhill station and Partickhill Goods [NB] shed demolished to make may for a supermarket and other stores. The yard here was used during the Yoker re-signalling scheme.
|/03/1997||Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)|
Grangemouth Docks to Fouldubs Junction re-opened to freight.
|/04/1997||Kincardine Line (North British Railway)|
Longannet Power Station to Kincardine Power Station re-opened to freight.
|21/01/1998||Hopeman Branch (Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway)|
Alves Junction to Roseisle Maltings re-opened to freight. The line was mothballed shortly afterwards.
|/07/1998||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Aviemore station altered and re-opened to Strathspey Railway [Preserved] traffic and Aviemore Speyside station closed.
|18/07/1998||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Holehouse Junction to Broomhill Loading Pad, for the opencast just to the south, re-opened.
|/05/1999||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Gartsherrie South Junction signal box closes - last signal box in the Monklands.
|05/10/1999||Great Western Railway|
31 people killed at Ladbroke Grove when a local train over-runs a signal and crashes into a First Great Western express train.
|/ /2000||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Loop opened on the up side at Thornhill, just east of the former station. This aided capacity of the line with its long single track section from Gretna to Annan (since re-doubled).
Last delivery of a set of track panels to Crathes for partial re-instatement of the line by the Royal Deeside Railway Preservation Society.
|17/10/2000||Great North Eastern Railway|
GNER London to Leeds train de-rails and crashes at Hatfield, killing 4 people, when the railway track breaks due to gauge corner cracking. The fault in the track was known, but had not been corrected.
|28/02/2001||Great North Eastern Railway|
GNER York to London train crashes into a Landrover and trailer carrying a car (which had fallen from the M62), then de-rails and hits a Freightliner train at Great Heck near Selby
|18/08/2001||Keith and Dufftown Railway|
First passenger train runs from Dufftown to Keith on the re-opened Keith and Dufftown Railway.
|11/09/2001||Terrorism in United States|
Terrorists destroy the North and South towers of the World Trade Center in New York and damage the Pentagon building in Washington with hi-jacked planes which are suicidally crashed. A forth hi-jacked plane crashes in Pennsylvania. There is great loss of life.
|26/09/2001||West Highland Railway|
Fort William Oil Depot re-opened.
|04/12/2001||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway|
Tree-planting ceremony marks the site-start at Newcraighall. Construction of Newcraighall and Brunstane stations on the Edinburgh CrossRail scheme commences.
First oil train runs to the re-instated facility at Lairg for the first time in 10 years. The service is operated by English, Welsh and Scottish Railway (EWS).
|/ /2002||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Beauly station re-opened.
|/ /2002||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Boat of Garten to Broomhill re-opened.
Closed by in-rush of water.
|31/03/2002||Newcastle and Darlington Junction Railway|
Sunderland to South Hylton re-opened.
|03/06/2002||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway|
Portobello Junction to Newcraighall (north of Millerhill) re-opened to passengers with stations at; Brunstane, Newcraighall.
|03/06/2002||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)|
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction and Niddrie South Junction to Newcraighall re-opened to passengers with a stations at Brunstane and Newcraighall. A long reversing spur was provided south of Newcraighall from the new Newcraighall Junction.
|08/09/2002||Inverness and Nairn Railway
Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Blocked by flood-water.
|/ /2004||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Greenburn Light Railway re-opened - track laid from Greenburn Junction west to Greenburn Loading Pad.
|/ /2005||Muirkirk Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Work begins on re-instating the Auchinleck to Cronberry to Powharnal (Gaswater) line. RailScot note: this work was aborted following the survey and pegging out of the centreline of the route.
|04/07/2005||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Signalling switched on for the re-opening of the Hamilton (Haughhead Junction - Larkhall branch.
|17/07/2005||Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)|
Overhead Line Equipment (overhead wires) energised for the re-opening of the Hamilton (Haughhead Junction - Larkhall line.
|19/05/2008||Stirling and Dunfermline RailwayKincardine Line|
The railway between Stirling and Alloa re-opens to passengers. The line between Stirling and Longannet Power Station via Alloa re-opens to freight.
|27/05/2008||Muirkirk Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Demolition approved by East Ayrshire Council for British Railways Board (Residual) of the Mosshouse Viaduct over the Bellow Water by Cronberry. The viaduct was in poor condition and would need replaced should the Powharnal line be re-opened. The viaduct was demolished by the end of the year 2008.
Laurencekirk station scheduled to re-open. This was the 65th Modern Era re-opening in Scotland.
|/ /2010||P&O Irish Sea
P&O Irish Sea, operator of the Cairnryan - Larne Harbour and Troon Harbour - Larne Harbour services amongst others, is merged back into P&O and becomes P&O Ferries.
|09/05/2010||New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways)|
Drumgelloch [1st] closed to allow the line to be doubled as part of the re-opening between Airdrie and Bathgate.
Final season of the Troon Harbour to Larne Harbour service. In 2016 it is announced that the service was not profitable and would not re-start.
Announcement of planned re-opening to passengers to Cameron Bridge and Leven.