Title:Bury to Holcombe Brook: A Short HistorySub:Mark Bartlett
Having put a selection of Cam Camwell's Holcombe Brook Branch pictures on the website I thought a few words about this short but interesting line might be of interest.
The branch was only 3 Â¾ miles long but steeply graded with three viaducts and at one time had nine halts and stations, four of which also handled goods traffic. It was single track throughout with one passing loop at Woolfold Station. During its short life the line employed steam power, two different forms of electric traction and finally steam again for its final period of service.
The line was promoted by an independent company, the Bury and Tottington District Railway, although L&YR engines and rolling stock were used from the opening in 1882 and six years later the L&YR took the line over. Initially just the stations at Woolfold, Greenmount, Tottington and Holcombe Brook were opened but competition from trams meant that a railmotor service was introduced in 1905 with additional halts at Woodhill Road, Brandlesholme Road, Sunnywood and Knowles Crossing.
When electric trams were introduced on the nearby roads it suited the railway company to collaborate with the Dick Kerr Company of Preston who wanted to use the line as a proving ground for its electrical equipment. The branch was electrified using 3500 volt DC overhead equipment and two motor coaches and two trailers were supplied for the 1913 opening.
In 1916 the Manchester to Busy line was electrified using the 1200 volt DC side contact third rail and two years later the branch was converted to this system too although Woodhill Road and Knowles Crossing halts were closed. Woodhill Road Halt opened again in the 1930s to serve new housing. Some of the concrete bases for the catenary masts survive however and, over 90 years after they were last used, can be seen in several locations alongside the former trackbed.Jend:
The branch settled down to an uneventful existence and enjoyed a frequent service of electric trains on the short run to Bury Bolton St but by 1951 the electrical equipment was worn out while the level of traffic did not warrant expensive replacement. So, on 25th March 1951, electric operation ceased and from then until 5th May 1952 a steam push pull service was operated using L&YR 2-4-2T locomotives.
Goods traffic continued for a period using L&YR Lanky A Class 0-6-0s and then Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0s from Bury shed but the line was progressively cut back towards Bury and closed completely in 1963.
Much of the line is now built over but the stretch from Greenmount to Woolfold can still be walked as an official foot and cycle path, known as the Kirklees Trail, and including the section over Tottington viaduct. Thankfully Cam Camwell and his friends captured the last year of railway operations for posterity.Jend:
Company:Bury and Tottington District Railway
Coybook:Bury and Tottington District Railway