|Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)
This railway is open to passengers and freight.
Text not yet entered.
The yard was closed on 5 October 1981.
This junction faced Eastfield on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
Named after the the red dye manufacturers, United Turkey Red: Dyers; 1845-1950, Alexandria. The records of this company are held at the University of Glasgow's Archives and Business Records Centre.
This is a new chord which runs from the top of the Cowlairs Incline to Springburn and gives direct access from Queen Street to Springburn without reversal at Cowlairs.
The lines by-passed the station at Springburn, running down the west side of the station.
Originally the throat of this yard faced Sighthill
Junction. In later years it was modified to face along the Glasgow
and Garnkirk Railway.
A spur ran between Sighthill Junction and St Rollox station on the Buchanan Street Extension line. This allowed trains to leave Buchanan Street and run out to Edinburgh along the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. It also gave access to the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway, trains from which originally ran to Buchanan Street, and, following a dis-agreement later to Queen Street. The alignment of this track was removed during the re-modelling of the Sighthill Yard.
This Junction allowed traffic from the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway to run eastwards onto the Glasgow and Garnkirk Railway. This connection is still used today, it divides at Sighthill Junction and part still runs to the Glasgow and Garnkirk Railway and the other currently terminates as a reverse shunt siding for access to the St Rollox works, and until 5 October 1981 for access to the new Sighthill Yard.
No maps on this page as yet.
Page last edited on 14/11/97
Page editor :