NR earmarks West Midlands site for sleeper construction facility [RTM]





Date: 06/04/2017

Network Rail has identified a site in Sandwell to build a new factory that will produce concrete sleepers for the network in the future. The railway sidings at Bescot have been selected for the potential project, and will create 100 jobs in the West Midlands whilst ensuring that Bescot is a key location on the nations railway map. If approved, the facility hopes to produce up to 600,000 sleepers a year making up 60% of the countrys supply, with Network Rails separate sleeper facility in Doncaster making up the remaining 40%. The Bescot site will be directly connected to the network to ensure that sleepers can be transported quickly and easily around Britain. [From Richard Buckby]


External links

NR earmarks West Midlands site for sleeper construction facility

RTM