Straiton Oil Works (1866-1897)
Served by the Pentland and Straiton Oilworks Railway.
This oil works was on the east side of the A701 in Straiton, ultimately owned by the Clippens Oil Company. The site was rail served by a branch from the Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway.
The mineral line approached from the east, from Straiton Sidings. Retorts were served and lines ran north to shale mines and the Burdiehouse Lime Works. To the west the line crossed the A701 by a level crossing to serve the Pentland Oil Works.
The site remained in use after the 1897 closure of the oil works for limestone traffic. The railway from Straiton Sidings remained in use.
Little remains, other than the railway trackbed, the site is largely a retail park.
Straiton Oil Works
Rosewell and Hawthornden
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Other railway and industry locations
Pentland Oil Works
Eldin Chemical Works
Burdiehouse Lime Works
Edgefield Weighs Cabin
Bilston Glen Colliery
Burghlee Ground Frame
Bilston Glen Viaduct
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|