St Bride^s Crossing

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

St Bride^s Crossing (1893-1951)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


Description

This was a passing loop, added due to the increase in traffic. Little remains to be seen of the loop, the line itself is now a dirt road, except a bridge over a stream which clearly carried two tracks. John Anderson's proposal to open a public station here was rejected by the landowner.

In the Second World War a down side siding was added - indeed this was a wartime provision to provide further marshalling capacity on the line. The field to the west has been described as being full of sidings, sleepers remaining for years afterwards. The road to Stank farm was deviated to the west to vacate land for the new sidings.

The location was named for a nearby Chapel, now ruined.

12/02/2018

Tags

Loop