Springfield Mill (1717-1966)
Served by the Esk Valley Railway.
This paper mill was on the east bank of the River North Esk in Polton. The mill was, from 1867, rail served by the Esk Valley Railway.
The railway approached from the north east, passing round the west side of the Polton terminus station before passing over a level crossing to enter the mill site. Lines then divided to serve the northern and southern sides of the mill.
The railway closed in 1964 and the mill in 1966, although buildings survived into the 1990s. The site was subsequently cleared and landscaped.
Rosewell and Hawthornden
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Other railway and industry locations
Bilston Glen Viaduct
Edgefield Weighs Cabin
Bilston Glen Colliery
Polton Colliery No 1
Eldin Chemical Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Railways of Peebles (Through Time)