Shawfield Chemical Works (1810-1970)
This chemical works on the south bank of the River Clyde was to become a manufacturer of chromates. It was close to the navigational limit of the river. The works expanded to the west side of Glasgow Road and absorbed the Clydeford Chemical Works to the south east.
The site was served by a short branch from Shawfield Junction, to the south west, which crossed Glasgow Road. Later further lines from Rutherglen West junction reached the site. A yard developed here ('White's Siding' - the works was founded by J & J White), served from the east.
It closed in the 1970s. The land is known to be contaminated with Chromium VI.
The southern part of the site is now crossed by the M74 and the remainder is an industrial estate and derelict land.
London Road [Glasgow]
Other railway and industry locations
Shawfield Chemical Works
Clydeford Chemical Works
Govan Colliery Pit No 5
Rutherglen West Junction
Rutherglen North Junction
Bridgeton Bank Yard
Farme Colliery Junction
Polmadie Mineral Sidings
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|