Restalrig Goods

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Restalrig Goods (1903-1968)

Opened on the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway).


Description

Restalrig Goods and Mineral Depot was on the north side of the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway)'s double track line. Access was from the west and to the west the line crossed over the Leith Central Branch (North British Railway). Although a connection between the two here was proposed it was not built.

Within the goods yard there was a rounding loop loading bank and siding. Street access was from Restalrig Road.

In the 1920s a saw mill, known as Restalrig Sawmills, was opened in the goods yard, served by a tramway and located where the loading bank had been at the east end of the yard.

The line was singled in 1917, the eastbound line being lifted. After complete closure in 1968 the trackbed became a footpath and the goods yard is now housing.


Tags

Sidings goods minerals

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map