Opened on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.
This is a two platform station. There is a car park to the south and level crossing to the west. The station buildings have not survived but the NER footbridge is at the west end of the platforms. The signal box is on the north side of the line, west of the crossing. A railway house to the north of the station survives.
The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
Prudhoe Colliery was to the west of the station, on the south side of the line. There were several looped sidings.
To the east was the Prudhoe Chemical Works and its extensive sidings on the south side of the line.
The station car park is on the site of a dye works.
Other railway and industry locations
Prudhoe Chemical Works
West Wylam Colliery
West Wylam Junction
Wylam Colliery (Haugh Pit)
Hedley Park Colliery
Wylam Iron Works
Mickley Bank Colliery
Wylam Colliery (Ann Pit)
Clara Vale Colliery
Chopwell No 3 Mine
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: A Mature Art v. 2
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: Pioneers v. 1
A History of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, 1824 - 1870: The First Line Across Britain
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Newcastle (Rail Centres)
North Eastern Railway: Historical Maps