North Berwick [1st]

Location type

Station

Name and dates

North Berwick [1st] (1850-1986)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the North Berwick Branch (North British Railway).

Description

This was a two platform terminus with substantial station buildings on both platforms. The station frontage had a considerable awning. There was a goods yard on the south side if the passenger station and locomotive shed at the west end on the north side of the line. Opposite this was the signal box, closed in 1968.

The station was originally much smaller and the goods lines continued across the road to the gasworks. The site of those sidings is now flats.

It was located about half a mile to the west of the old town centre.

Tags

Terminus station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67