Meigle Upper

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Meigle Upper (1848-1861)

Opened on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.

Opened on the Newtyle, Eassie and Glamiss Railway.


Description


Scotch Gauge

A station existed at Kirkinch on the Newtyle, Eassie and Glamiss Railway which, along with Newtyle on the Dundee and Newtyle Railway, were probably the nearest stations to Meigle until the standard gauge lines were built.


Re-gauging

The former Newtyle, Eassie and Glamiss Railway was closed in July 1846 for reconstruction as a double track standard gauge mainline by the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.


Interchange

On opening of the Scottish Midland Junction Railway in 1848 a new interchange was opened where the Glamis line met the new mainline. It appears that the line from Newtyle [Old] was not regauged until 1849. Following the re-gauging the layout of the station was two platforms on the main line, the westbound one having a second face for the curve to Newtyle. The junction only allowed goods trains to reverse just east of the interchange in sidings before running west towards Coupar Angus. Departure east was not possible without two reversals, perhaps to protect the main line against runaways from Newtyle. There does not appear to have been public access, this may only have been an interchange.

Meigle [1st] station, later known as Alyth Junction, was not far west and Kirkinch, a station on the Newtyle, Eassie and Glamiss Railway which closed permanently with the re-gauging, was not far east.


Flyover at Alyth Junction

The station closed in 1861 when the Newtyle [Old] to Ardler curve re-opened. Trains for the west would require no reversals and those to the east a single reversal. The timing of the re-opening would be associated with the opening of the Alyth Railway.


Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map