Maybole Junction [Maybole] (1860-1965)
Opened on the Maybole and Girvan Railway.
Opened on the Ayr and Maybole Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
Also known as Maybole and Girvan Railway Junction and Maybole Goods Junction. This was the junction between the original route of the Ayr and Maybole Railway and its extension by the Maybole and Girvan Railway south to Girvan. The junction was some way north east of Maybole as an end-on junction between the lines was not possible. The original terminus was left on a short branch and converted into a goods yard.
Following doubling of the Ayr to Girvan route around 1894 this became a junction between two double lines, the former goods lines dropping to a single track around a train length from the junction before fanning out into the goods yard.
The junction signal box closed in 1970, probably along with the old terminus goods yard. The remaining line was singled in 1973.
A short lived Maybole Junction [Station] existed much further north at Dalrymple Junction.
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Maybole Junction [Station]
Heads of Ayr [1st)
Other railway and industry locations
Capenoch Signal Box
Kilkerran Acid Works
Myremill Farm Level Crossing
Maybole Collegiate Church
Balchriston Level Crossing Halt
Croy Electric Brae
Old Bridge of Doon
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|