J and J Hay Shipyard (1867-1961)
The slipway from this shipyard remains on the Forth and Clyde Canal on the south bank of the canal, just east of the entry into Kirkintilloch Basin. Further parts of the yard were also to the east on the south bank closer to Townhead.
Puffers were built here, being launched broadside into the canal close to the Townhead bridge.
The yard closed in 1954 but the slip remained in use for the ship repairs business until 1961.
The slip was derelict for many years but has been restored with the re-opening of the Forth and Clyde Canal. The site is now a base for the Seagull Trust .
Much of the shipyard site is now part of the New College Lanarkshire and is partly housing.
Back O Loch Halt
Milton of Campsie
Bridgend [M and K]
Other railway and industry locations
South Bank Iron Works
Basin Iron Foundry
Kirkintilloch Precast Cement Works
Kirkintilloch Nickel Works
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [1st]
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [2nd]
Woodilee Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Whitegates Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|