Gorton [WHR] (1926-1964)
Gorton Crossing (1988-)
Opened on the West Highland Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This former island platform station is now Gorton Crossing, a passing place on the line with ground frames to operate the points.
There was a combined signal box and building here, the same style as those at Glen Douglas and Corrour.
A grounded carriage on the island platform was used as a school for children in the area.
The halt closed to passengers in 1964, the box closing and loop being taken out in 1968.
In 1987/88 the loop was re-instated, controlled by ground frames, for the use of permanent way maintenance trains.
Portions of the platform remain and the loop has been re-instated in recent years, now controlled by two ground frames. Red bricks of the demolished building can be seen on the west side.
Bridge of Orchy
Glen Falloch Platform
Beinn Achaladair South Peak
Beinn an Dothaidh
Stuchd an Lochain
Sron Chona Choirein
Cruach Rock Shed
|07/08/1894||West Highland Railway|
Public opening from Fort William to Craigendoran. Stations opened at Craigendoran Upper, Helensburgh Upper, Row, Garelochhead, Arrochar and Tarbet, Ardlui, Crianlarich, Tyndrum [WHR], Bridge of Orchy, Gortan (private), Rannoch, Corrour (private), Inverlair, Roy Bridge, Spean Bridge and Fort William [1st].