See also  

This site 

  
Scotland Map 

 
Ayrshire Map 

Home 

Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway 

Glasgow and South Western Railway 

Other sites 
 
Associated British Ports - Port of Troon

Kilmarnock and Troon Railway 

This was the first railway in Scotland to run (albeit briefly) a locomotive. Most of this railway is still open (the termini have been closed and replaced). The line ran from Kilmarnock to Troon. The line is open for both freight and passengers. 

Kilmarnock and Troon Railway Route Map 
 
Local area
Chronology
Description of route
Troon Harbour
Troon Harbour Junction
Barassie Junction
Barassie
Meadowhead Caledonian Paper Mill
Hillhouse Quarry
Shewalton Coup
Shewalton Moss
Drybridge
Crosshouse Branch ?
Gatehead
Earlston Branch ?
Caprington Junction ?
Grange Junction ?
St. Marnock's Depot
Ordinance Survey Grid References
Bibliography
Outstanding work 
 
Check  junction names
Photographs
Maps
Current services
Local area
Links
Local area 

Top 

Text not yet entered. 

Chronology 

Top 
 
1807 William Jessop surveys route on the instructions of the Duke of Portland
1808, 27 May Act received
1812, 6 July Railway opened
1817 Trials of a Stephenson's locomotive (first railway engine in Scotland)
1839, 5 August Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway opened from Ayr to Irvine.
1846, 16 July Line leased to the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway and re-gauged for locomotives
1899, 16 July Line bought by Glasgow and South Western Railway
1969, 3 May Kilmarnock No 2 to Barassie Junction closed to Passengers
198? Kilmarnock to Barassie re-opened to Passengers
198? Meadowhead Caledonian Paper Mill opened
. 
Description of route 

Top 

From Troon Harbour to St Marnock's, Kilmarnock. 
 

Troon Harbour 

Top 

The track has been lifted and much of the formation removed. One or two broken sleepers can be found in the harbour area. Sidings ran round both the south-west and north-east sides of the harbour. There was a locomotive shed at the harbour. 
 
Troon Harbour Junction 

Top 

The track has been lifted and much of the formation removed. At this location the original line from Barassie to the harbour was joined by a spur running from the Troon (New) loop. The junction faced the harbour and the spur allowed the harbour access to the south without running round at Barassie.. 
 
Barassie Junction 

Top 

Originally this is the location where the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway crossed over the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway. 

This was a complicated junction at its height. To the North lines approached from Kilwinning and Kilmarnock. To the south lines approached from Troon Harbour, Troon Goods (on the original course of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway) and Troon (New) 

The Kilwinning line is still double track and is now electrified. The Kilmarnock route is now singled. The Harbour line is now lifted. Troon Goods is closed to through traffic, and on my last visit some sidings remained in the vicinity of the junction and for a further mile or so. The Troon (New) route is double track and electrified. 

Barassie 

Top 

This station was built by Barassie junction such that it had four platforms; two on the Kilwinning line (Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway) and two on the Kilmarnock line. The original station here was on the Kilmarnock line and may have been slightly closer to Kilmarnock. 

Two platforms are still open on the Kilwinning route. 

Meadowhead Caledonian Paper Mill 

Top 

Opened in 198?. This short branch has three exchange loops and the junction faces Barassie. The branch runs to the North of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway. 

Hillhouse Quarry 

Top 

This is a short branch from the Shewalton Moss ground frame. There are three exchange loops, the junction faces Kilmarnock. The branch is to the South of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway. 

Shewalton Coup 

Top 

This is a set of sidings lying to the North of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway. The junction faces Kilmarnock. 

Shewalton Moss 

Top 

This is a ground frame giving access to the Hillhouse Quarry and Shewalton Coup sidings. 

Drybridge 

Top 

This station is closed. The goods yard at this station has given way to a scrap yard. To the west of the B730 the station building stands with partial platforms. 

Crosshouse Branch ? 

Top 

A branch once ran from the West end of Gatehead station to collieries in the Crosshouse and Muirhouse district. The junction faced Kilmarnock. 

Gatehead 

Top 

This station is closed. A platform remains at this location on the West side of the A759 level crossing. 

Earlston Branch ?  

Top 

This was a branch running from the East end of Gatehead station to collieries in the Earlston district. The junction faced Troon. 

Caprington Junction ? 

Top 

For the closed line through Riccarton to Hurlford and Kay Park Junction. 

Grange Junction ? 

Top 

This provided a connection to the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway 

St. Marnock's Depot 

Top 

This depot is closed. This was the original Kilmarnock terminus of the line from Troon. A bowling green exists in the likely viscinity of the terminus. 
 

Ordinance Survey Grid References 

Top 

1. NS 310 315 Troon Harbour  
2. NS 317 312 Troon Harbour Junction 
3. NS 328 328 Barassie Junction  
4. NS 328 329 Barassie  
5. NS 340 353 Meadowhead Caledonian Paper Mill 
6. NS 345 343 Hillhouse Quarry 
7. NS 345 352 Shewalton Coup 
8. NS 346 350 Shewalton Moss 
9. NS 359 365 Drybridge  
10. NS 390 380 and NS 394 374 Crosshouse Branch terminii 
11. NS 392 375 Gatehead  
12. NS 395 350, NS 414 348 and NS 418 353 Earlston Branch terminii 
13. NS 412 367 Caprington Junction ? 
14. NS 417 374 Grange Junction ?  
15. NS 422 375 St. Marnock's Depot  

Bibliography 

Top 

No maps on this page as yet. 


Page last edited on 14/11/97

Page editor : Ewan Crawford