OS 25” First Edition map extract 1865 Murtle Station showing 'Gravel Pit' within railway boundary. With permission from the National Library of Scotland. maps.nls.uk/copyright.html
At a Deeside Railway Company Board meeting in 1861 the Directors allowed Mr Whyte, himself a Director, to take “sand” from the “ballast bank” near Murtle Station for building a house on his land and encouraged others to do likewise! The Murtle ballast pit had closed by the end of the century as the ballasting along the part of the Deeside Line between Aberdeen and Culter had been converted to stone ballast in earlier years probably at the time the line was doubled.
Company: Deeside Railway
Photographer: Charlie Niven
Contact photographer: Charlie Niven
Image number: 73049