Harlesden station, north-west London, served by London Overground services from Watford Junction to Euston and London Underground Bakerloo Line services from Harrow & Wealdstone to Elephant & Castle. Here, a train of refurbished LUL 1972 stock, currently the oldest trains on the London Underground, is seen heading away from the camera as it departs with a Bakerloo Line service to Elephant & Castle, on the afternoon of Saturday, 4th January 2020. This station was opened with the New Lines of the LNWR on 15th June 1912 alongside the original London & Birmingham Railway of 1837, now part of the WCML, which is to the right but out of view in this scene. A station on the main line at this location, called Willesden, was opened in 1841 and closed in 1866 when it was replaced by Willesden Junction, slightly to the south-east where the main line passed underneath the Hampstead Junction Railway of 1860. Platforms on the New Lines were also opened at Willesden Junction in 1912 while those on the main line were closed at the end of 1962 and have been completely demolished.
Photographer: David Bosher
Contact photographer: David Bosher
Image number: 71748