Renewal work on the former tram depot built by the City of Carlisle Electric Tramways Company in 1899/1900. The rear section shown here originally housed inspection pits and servicing facilities. Carlisle's trams stopped running in 1931, since when the building has been put to various other uses. Here (2003) it had recently been occupied by a tool hire company (front) and garage (rear). It is currently used by a national car rental organisation see image 61406. Despite fronting London Road (from which the picture was taken) it was known as Lindisfarne Street Tram Depot. Part of Lindisfarne Street itself is visible in the background, with the former London Road station off picture to the right.
Location: Lindisfarne Street Tram Depot
Company: City of Carlisle Electric Tramways
Photographer: John Furnevel
Make contact: John Furnevel
Image number: 70996