Alloa Bridge

Remains of Alloa swing bridge seen from the north side of the Forth in 2006, showing the rail-banded northern abutment and surviving piers. Opened in 1885, the 21 span, wrought iron structure carried a single line 1,615 across the river linking Throsk and Alloa. The bridge incorporated a rotating span to permit passage of shipping, with a combined control cabin and signal box mounted above the rails . (The shorter piers – the fifth set out from the north shore – supported the mechanism used to rotate the opening span). Passenger services ceased in 1968, while the last freight to use the bridge brought a final consignment of coal for the steam driven turning mechanism in May 1970. Dismantling took place during 1971.

Location: Alloa Bridge

Company: Alloa Railway

Photographer: John Furnevel

Make contact: John Furnevel

Date: 27/04/2006

Image number: 62680


Other photographs of Alloa Bridge on RailScot