RAILSCOT Logo
Rainford Junction

Rainford Junction: A Cravens DMU heads away from Rainford Junction on the single line section to the Merseyrail interchange at Kirkby. The DMU is just about at the point where the direct line from Ormskirk to St. Helens passed over this line. The curving platform seen here was used by passenger trains to Ormskirk until 1951 and a mirror platform on the other side catered for St. Helens services until the same year. Rainford Junction is largely unchanged today and the signalman still emerges from the box to hand over or collect the staff from trains on the single line stub. [See image 27639]

Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway 

Make contact Contact More from this photographer Mark Bartlett 03 November 1980 Ref: 21273