Remains of the former station at Melrose on 20 August 2015 looking east towards the site of Ravenswood Junction. The A6091 now runs past on the right. [See image 26778]
John Yellowlees [20/08/2015]
A four-coach DMU from Edinburgh approaches Melrose on rugby Sevens day, Saturday 9th April 1965. The historic Melrose Abbey, dating from 1136, stands centre left directly above the rear of the train. Use of the more economical DMUs on the Waverley Route north of Hawick was restricted to weekend and seasonal workings.
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) [09/04/1965]
Horses grazing on the slopes of the Eildon Hills are oblivious to the passage of the Peak-hauled down ^Waverley^ leaving Melrose en route to Edinburgh. The train can be seen in the middle distance in this photograph thought to have been taken in April 1965. The Peaks were the staple motive power for this train from the start of dieselisation through to the very last train - hauled by D60 Lytham St Annes - famously stopped at the level crossing at Newcastleton by a community protest in the small hours of 6 January 1969 [see image 18723].
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) [/04/1965]
|All photographs of Melrose|