document.write('');document.write('');document.write('');document.write('');document.write('');document.write('


Built in 1862 to carry the Border Counties Railway over the Deadwater Burn and surrounding marshland, Kielder Viaduct is considered to be one of the finest surviving examples of Victorian engineering using the skew-arch method of construction. The viaduct is seen here looking south towards Kielder Reservoir in September 2003. Attached to the viaduct directly ahead is a plaque commemorating the work of Peter Nicholson of Newcastle, a pioneer geometrician involved in perfecting the technique.
John Furnevel [21/09/2003]


Kielder Viaduct looking northwest on 7 November 2007.
John Furnevel [07/11/2007]


One of the later additions to the ironwork along the top of Kielder Viaduct commemorates the four companies who operated the Border Counties line. Seen here on 8 November 2007.
John Furnevel [08/11/2007]
All photographs of Kielder Viaduct
');