The Dolphinton Branch (opened 1867) met the mainline of Caledonian Railway at Dolphinton Junction, Carstairs. This junction was also (from 1872) the east junction of the Carstairs triangle and is today more appropriately called Carstairs East Junction. This 2004 view looks west from the former Dolphinton Branch trackbed (closed 1950) and shows a train taking the east to south curve. Dolphinton Junction was slightly further west than Carstairs East Junction as today^s curve is an amalgam of the original curve and a later additional curve on an easier alignment - the curve incorporates the original hard curve away from the east end of the station and the later curve^s further east junction.
Ewan Crawford [22/12/2004]
|All photographs of Dolphinton Junction|