The overgrown remains of Maxwelltown station looking west from Terregles Road bridge in the summer of 2000. The fuel distribution depot built on the site of the old goods yard is visible just beyond the station building. In the middle distance is the former ICI plant at Cargenbridge, rail served until closure of the line from Dumfries in 1994.
John Furnevel [11/06/2000]
Walking the dogs - Dumfries 2006. The arched bridge across the Nith carried the line to Castle Douglas (1859) and later on to Stranraer. Beyond it is the road bridge built to carry the Dumfries by-pass 130 years later. View is north.
John Furnevel [17/04/2006]
The fenced off deck of Cargenbridge Viaduct, 2 miles south west of Dumfries, seen looking through the railings towards Stranraer in May 2007. The viaduct carried traffic on the Port Road until closure of the line as a through route in 1965, following which it continued for many years to serve the ICI plant that stood in the right background (much of the area is now a business park). Final closure of this remaining section came in 1994. The Maxwelltown Railway Path now occupies the old trackbed from a point just behind the camera back to Dumfries. (The western access to the path can be seen bottom right.) [See image 15525].
John Furnevel [29/05/2007]
|All photographs of Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|