NEWS ON THIS DAY CONTENTS
Go to the RAILSCOT home page.
Search:

Chronology for Coalburn Branch

//1847Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Act passed for a line from Motherwell to Bankhead (beyond Coalburn). The Caledonian fail to build the line.
24/7/1851Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Line re-authorised (this time independently but backed by the Caledonian Railway); route Motherwell to Ferniegair to Coalburn to Bankend, branch to Northfield.
1/12/1856Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Motherwell to Coalburn opened to minerals.
//1860Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Northfield branch opened.
//1861Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Nethan viaduct showing severe wear and tear, later Ferniegair bridge also shows wear both replaced, Ferniegair bridge still in use as part of the Hamilton Circle line.
30/7/1861Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Branch line authorised from Larkhall to Cots Castle (Stonehouse).
1/11/1862Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)North Southfield to Southfield opened to minerals.
1/9/1862Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Opened from Larkhall to Canderside to goods.
11/5/1863Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Caledonian Railway authorised to double Motherwell to Southfield and to run passengers trains to Brocketsbrae, the Stonehouse branch and the Blackwood branch. The Caledonian Railway owns the Lesmahagow lines by this time.
1/11/1864Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Motherwell to Southfield junction line doubling complete.
1/9/1864Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Canderside to Cots Castle opened to minerals. This leads to the singling of Hamilton and Strathaven Railway south of quarter.
1/12/1866Coalburn Branch] (Caledonian Railway)Passenger services start; bus runs between Hamilton and Ferniegair 1st for route to Glasgow^s South Side; the main route through to Buchanan Street. Blackwood carriage dropped at Southfield Junction and taken on separately.
1/12/1866Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Ferniegair to Brocketsbrae, Stonehouse Branch, Blackwood Branch opened to passengers.
1/4/1868Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Ferniegair to Motherwell, Lesmahagow junction opened to passengers.
18/7/1872Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Hamilton West to Ross Junction (Ferniegair) authorised.
2/10/1876Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Hamilton West to Ross Junction opened to passengers.
29/5/1876Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Hamilton West to Ross Junction opened to freight.
18/9/1876Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Hamilton West to Ross Junction opened to minerals.
//1877Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Brocketsbrae shed opened to the east of Lesmahagow station. At the time this was the limit of the passenger service.
//1905Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Lesmahagow renamed Brocketsbrae.
/8/1932Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Brocketsbrae shed, pit and siding removed. Shed closed not long after 1923.
5/1/1935Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Stonehouse to Dalserf closed to passengers
23/2/1935Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Stonehouse East Junction to Canderside Sidings closed to freight
11/9/1939Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway
Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Douglas West (Poneil Junction) to Brocketsbrae closed to passengers (except a Saturdays only train using Alton Heights to Brocketsbrae until 2nd May 1942).
2/5/1942Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Alton Heights to Brocketsbrae closed to passengers
1/10/1951Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Blackwood Junction to Tillietudlem (Southfield Junction) closed to passengers
1/10/1951Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Brocketsbrae to Hamilton (Ferniegair Junction) closed to passengers
21/9/1953Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Alton Heights (excluded) to Brocketsbrae to Tillietudlem (Southfield Junction) closed to freight
4/1/1960Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Blackwood Junction to Tillietudlem (Southfield Junction) closed to freight
4/1/1960Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Southfield Junction to Dalserf Junction closed to freight
7/12/1964Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Strathaven Central to Stonehouse closed to freight.
20/4/1964Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Dalserf Junction to Ferniegair Junction closed to freight
20/4/1964Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Canderside Sidings to Dalserf closed to freight
4/10/1965Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Coalburn to Hamilton (Haughead Junction) closed to passengers.
4/10/1965Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)Coalburn to Auchlochan Colliery closed to freight.
4/10/1965Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Strathaven to Stonehouse closed to passengers.
4/11/1968Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Larkhall Central to Haughhead Junction closed to freight.
16/9/1968Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Auchlochan Colliery to Larkhall Central closed to freight.
17/7/2005Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Overhead Line Equipment (overhead wires) energised on the re-opening Hamilton - Larkhall line.
4/7/2005Coalburn Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Signalling switched on on the re-opening Hamilton - Larkhall branch.
Search chronology: