RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations
Symington 
Coulter 
Biggar 
Broughton 
Stobo 
Lyne 
Peebles (West)
 

This site
Caledonian Railway
North British Railway
Peebles Railway

Other sites
ScotRail


Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway

This line is closed. The Caledonian Railway ran the "Tinto Express" by this line from Peebles to Edinburgh to compete with the North British Railway's "Peebles-shire Express" which ran via Leadburn. As the route was longer the Caledonian was keen to promote the quality of the service. Certainly for travelers to Glasgow this line was much better than the North British route.

Survey To be entered
Engineers To be entered
Act 1858
Contractors To be entered
Opened 5 November 1860
Closed

4 April 1966

Peebles Railway Caledonian Railway Talla Railway Clickable map of the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway.

Local area 

Top 

This line carried much traffic associated with the beef industry. 

Chronology 

Top

Description of route 

Top 

From Symington to Peebles. The line was originally built to Broughton and was later extended, by the Caledonian Railway, to Peebles. 

Symington  

Top

Please refer to the entry for the Caledonian Railway for this station and junction. This was the starting point of the line. Facilities consisted of a single platform face on an island platform. This station is now closed. 

Coulter  

Top

This view shows the station as viewed from the closed level crossing to the West of the station. Behind the camera is the remains of a large viaduct which carried the line on towards Symington. The station building is now a house. 

Biggar  

Top

This station was recently advertised for sale along with the trackbed leading towards Broughton. The site was used by the local council as a roads depot until recently. 

The station still has its signalbox which can be seen in the middle of the photograph. Some of the station has a house built on it (the grass and greenhouse in the foreground belong to this house). 

Broughton  

Top

The photograph shows the trackbed to the East of the station. The station site has been cleared. This was the terminus of the line until it was extended East to Peebles. During the period when this was the terminus there was a locomotive shed here. This was removed when the line was extended. The station was re-built to have three platforms. One of the two main platforms was an island platform.. 

The Talla Railway branched off the main line here (behind camera), running to the Talla reservoir in connection with its construction.

Stobo  

Top 

These views show the closed station from further East, and the goods shed which is by the main road. 

Lyne  

Top

This station is now a house. The track and platform were immediately beyond the trees in the photograph. 

Neidpath Viaduct

Top

This beautiful viaduct is to the west of the town.

Peebles (West)

Top

The site of this station has been completely changed. The station was a terminus for the Caledonian Railway, but the North British Railway, at its own expense built the "Caledonian Branch" which connected the South end of the North British station (see the Peebles Railway) to the East end of the Caledonian station.  

On the approach to Peebles the line from Symington had to pass through a tunnel, shortly after a viaduct. Both are castellated to please the local land owners. The station had a locomotive shed on the North side of the tracks at the West end of the station, the station itself having an overall roof with stone gable-ends. The top photograph looks West towards the site of the station, and the bottom photograph looks East along the course of the North British's line to their station. This line crossed over the Tweed in the distant part of the photograph. 


Page created in 1996
Page last edited on: 02/04/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford