RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Sutherland Railway

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations
Ardgay
Culrain
Invershin
Lairg
Lairg Summit
Acheildh Crossing
Rogart
The Mound
Golspie

This site
Dornoch Light Railway
Duke of Sutherland's Railway
Highland Railway
Inverness and Ross-shire Railway

Other sites
ScotRail


Sutherland Railway

This line is open. Passenger services are provided by Scotrail from Inverness to Thurso and Wick.

Survey To be entered
Engineers Murray
Act 29 June 1865
Contractors Messers Brand & Sons
Opened 13 April 1868
Closed No
Inverness and Ross-shire Railway Dornoch Light Railway Duke of Sutherland's Railway Golspie The Mound Rogart Acheildh Crossing Lairg Invershin Culrain Clickable map of the Sutherland Railway.
Lairg, looking south.
Lairg, looking south.

Local area

Top 

This railway runs through a sparsely populated district to the north of Inverness. Much of the neighbouring land is hill farm. At Lairg there is the famous cattle market which was once heavily involved in the droving of cattle. The line was originally intended to terminate at Brora but stopped short at Golspie due to lack of funds.

Chronology

Top

Description of route

Top 

From Bonar Bridge to Golspie. 

Ardgay

Top

This station was formerly known as Bonar Bridge. This station was the northern terminus of the former Inverness and Ross-shire Railway (by then part of the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway) the Sutherland Railway extended it north and east to Golspie. The station has two platforms, a passing loop and a disused good-yard with sidings. The original station building still stands.

The name is pronounced "ard-guy".

Culrain
Opened:1871 Closed:No
Map
61.00 miles from Inverness
Top
1956:GPLH
 
Culrain

This station originally had one platform. It was re-built with two and a passing loop. Today the loop has been lifted and the southbound platform is out of use. 'Culrain' signalbox has been demolished. To the north is the Oykel Viaduct (61.27 miles from Inverness). There is a walkway from Culrain station to Invershin which has a footway on the side of the viaduct. The name is pronounced "Coo-rain".

Oykel viaduct
Map
Top

This impressive viaduct now has a walkway on the side of it which allows pedestrians to walk from Invershin to Culrain.

Invershin
Opened:13 April 1868 Closed:No
Map
61.34 miles from Inverness
Top
1956:GPFLHC
 
Invershin

This station has one platform and a derelict station building. 'Invershin' signalbox has been demolished. There is a footway from here to Culrain which uses the Oykel viaduct.

Lairg
Opened:13 April 1868 Closed:No
Map
66.78 miles from Inverness
Top
1956:GPFLHC10
Lairg, looking south.
Lairg

This station has a passing loop and two platforms. The station building stil stands. Both 'Lairg North' and 'Lairg South' signalboxes have been demolished. There is a goods yard and siding for oil. At the time of writing the oil sidings are in use. The station formerly served Lairg quarry. The name is pronounced "Lurg".

Lairg Summit
 
69.32 miles from Inverness
Top

This is one of the summits on the line at 488 feet.

Acheildh Crossing
Map
72.63 miles from Inverness
Top

The crossing loop is now closed and the 'Acheildh Crossing' signalbox removed.

Rogart
Opened:13 April 1868 Closed:13 June 1960 Re-opened:6 March 1961 Re-named:12 June 1961 as Rogart Halt Re-named:Rogart Closed:No
Map
77.01 miles from Inverness
Top
1956:GPFLHC
Rogart

This is a two platform station with a passing loop. The northbound platform building still stands and there are railway camping coaches in the former goods yard on a section of track which is not connected to the main line. The 'Rogart South' signalbox has been recently re-located slightly further north, the 'Rogart North' signalbox has been demolished.

The Mound
Opened:13 April 1868 Closed:13 June 1960
Map
80.70 miles from Inverness
Top
1956:GPFLHC

This was a junction station. There were two platforms (one on the main line and one on the branch line), and a loop on both routes. This was the junction for the Dornoch Light Railway. The station building remains in use as a house but the 'The Mound Junction' signalbox has been demolished.

Golspie
Opened:13 April 1868 Closed:No
Map
86.15 miles from Inverness
Top
1956:G+PFH
 
Golspie

This station formerly had two platforms and a passing loop. One platform remains in use and the loop has been lifted. The station building is in a good state of repair and the former goods yard is to the south of the station. This was the northern extent of the Sutherland Railway. The line was extended north by the Duke of Sutherland's Railway. The 'Golspie North' and 'Golspie South' signalboxes are demolished. The Duke of Sutherland had an engine shed for his engine 'Dunrobin' (and replacement with the same name) here.


Page created on 04/09/1997
Page last edited on: 02/04/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford
Dunrobin Rogart Lairg Rogart Invershin Inverness and Ross-shire Railway Culrain