RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Perth and Dunkeld Railway

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations
Stanley Junction 
Murthly
Rohallion
Kingswood Crossing
Dunkeld & Birnam

This site
Scottish Midland Junction Railway
Highland Railway
Inverness and Perth Junction Railway

Other sites
ScotRail


Perth and Dunkeld Railway

This is open. Passenger services are provided by ScotRail from Dunkeld to Inverness, Perth, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Survey To be entered
Engineers To be entered
Act 10 July 1854
Contractors To be entered
Opened 7 April 1856
Closed

No

Inverness and Perth Junction Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Clickable map of the Perth and Dunkeld Railway.

Local area

Top

This line was formerly a branch off the Perth to Aberdeen main line to a small town. The area is not heavily populated and is farmed and given over to forestry.

Chronology

Top

Description of route

Top 

From Stanley Junction to Dunkeld. 

Stanley Junction 

Top

This was a station on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. Since the closure of the line to Forfar this location has become the point where the Perth to Inverness line becomes single track, going north. A modern signal box still stands. 

Murthly 

Top 

This station had two platforms and a passing loop. The station is closed and the passing loop lifted. The signalbox lasted a little longer as a 'gate box' and still stands, although disused. There was a goods yard to the north end, but this has also been lifted.

Kingswood Crossing 

Top

This is no longer a passing loop and the signalbox removed.

Rohallion 

Top 

This photograph looks north. The railway is beyond the trees, running parallel to the road. The station of Rohallion was probably located just up in the trees at this point. The station closed at an early date.

Dunkeld & Birnam 

Top 

This is a two platform station with a passing loop. This was a terminus until the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway made an end-on junction here and continued the line to Forres on the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway. The station building still stands, but the timber all-over roof was removed many years ago. There is an old lamp standard here by the footbridge with the original company name on it. The sourh signal box remains (close by it was a locomotive shed of which a single stone wall remains). There is a large goods yard with a number of sidings which are used to store track maintenance machines (these were formerly stored in Perth New Yard, but due to vandalism were re-located to Dunkeld). An original Highland Railway signal with a finial stands at the south end.

The station's name has changed a number of times, the busy A9 has been built (partly over the extensive goods yard) between it and the towns of Dunkeld and Birnam, but the station is still open.


Page created on 10/02/1997
Page last edited on: 02/04/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford