Perth and Dunkeld Railway
This is open. Passenger services are
provided by ScotRail
from Dunkeld to Inverness, Perth, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
||10 July 1854
||7 April 1856
This line was formerly a branch off the Perth
to Aberdeen main line to a small town. The area is not heavily populated and
is farmed and given over to forestry.
Description of route
From Stanley Junction to Dunkeld.
This was a station
on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.
Since the closure of the line to Forfar
this location has become the point where the Perth to Inverness line becomes
single track, going north. A modern signal box still stands.
This station had two platforms and a passing
loop. The station is closed and the passing loop lifted. The signalbox lasted
a little longer as a 'gate box' and still stands, although disused. There was
a goods yard to the north end, but this has also been lifted.
This is no longer a passing loop and the signalbox
This photograph looks north. The railway is
beyond the trees, running parallel to the road. The station of Rohallion was
probably located just up in the trees at this point. The station closed at an
Dunkeld & Birnam
This is a two platform station with a passing
loop. This was a terminus until the Inverness
and Perth Junction Railway made an end-on junction here and continued the
line to Forres on the Inverness
and Aberdeen Junction Railway. The station building still stands, but the
timber all-over roof was removed many years ago. There is an old lamp standard
here by the footbridge with the original company name on it. The sourh signal
box remains (close by it was a locomotive shed of which a single stone wall
remains). There is a large goods yard with a number of sidings which are used
to store track maintenance machines (these were formerly stored in Perth New
Yard, but due to vandalism were re-located to Dunkeld). An original Highland
Railway signal with a finial stands at the south end.
The station's name has changed a number of
times, the busy A9 has been built (partly over the extensive goods yard) between
it and the towns of Dunkeld and Birnam, but the station is still open.
Page created on 10/02/1997
Page last edited on: 02/04/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford