RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Penicuik Railway

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations
Rosslyn Casle
Auchendinny
Eskbridge
Penicuik

This site
North British Railway
Peebles Railway

Other sites
ScotRail


Penicuik Railway

This line is closed. The line carried passengers and freight between Penicuik and Edinburgh. The line is now a cyclepath.

Survey To be entered
Engineers To be entered
Act 1870
Contractors To be entered
Opened 2 July 1872
Closed 27 March 1967
Peebles Railway Rosslyn Castle Auchendinny Eskbridge Penicuik Clickable map of the Penicuik Railway.

Local area

Top 

This line to the south of Edinburgh. It passes through an area of farmland and what have become dormitary towns of Edinburgh. There were a number of papermills in the area but most of these have now closed except the mill at Auchendinny.

Chronology

Top

Description of route

Top 

The line ran from a junction with the Peebles Railway at Hawthornden to Penicuik. The line was single track.

Hawthornden Junction

Top

Here the line branched off the north-south running Peebles Railway. The line ran south and a little west to Penicuik. The site of the junction and nearby coalmine are now lost to new roads, but the dis-used platforms at the closed station remain. There is a car-park nearby the location of the former junction.

Rosslyn Castle
Opened:As Rosslyn on 2 July 1872 Re-named:Rosslyn Castle 16 February 1874 Closed:10 September 1951
 
Top
1956:GLH

There is a large viaduct to the north of the station. The station had a single platform and a goods depot to the south. The platform and goods loading bank remain. In 1956 there were sidings for Dalmore Mill and ICI Nobel had gunpowder works sidings here.

A section of the line was built within a tube here where the line ran by the explosives works to arrest sparks which could ignite the explosives. The explosives company had to take legal action to make the railway put the line in the tube as per their earlier promise.

Auchendinny
Opened:2 July 1872 Closed:5 March 1951
 
Top

This station had a single platform. To the north of the station was a bridge (shown above) and slightly further north a tunnel. Even further north is a mill which is still open. The station's single platform remains although overgrown and in a poor state. The station master's house still stands. In 1956 there were Harpersbrae siding for for J Brown and Co, Eskmill siding and Lowmill siding.

Eskbridge
Opened:1 July 1874 Closed:1 January 1917Re-opened:2 June 1919Closed:22 September 1930
 
Top

This single platform station was just to the north of Penicuik. A platform remains, but it is deteriorating.

Penicuik
Opened:2 July 1872 Closed:10 September 1951
 
Top
1956:GPLHC30
Penicuik

This was the terminus of the line. There was a station with a single platform and passing loop. The engine shed was attached to the station building. The Valleyfield paperworks used to be located by the station, which it pre-dated. The works is closed and demolished. Other building associated with it, located by the Pomathorn station (on the closed Peebles Railway) are now in use as rented storage. The station here was more convenient for the town than Pomathorn station (which was called Penicuik until the branch opened). The town was also served by Glencorse station of the Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway. The Penicuik Railway took that company to court to stop it extending south to a convenient station in the town, in fact a previous unsuccessful attempt was made to stop it extending south from Roslin to the colliery at Mauricewood which the Penicuik Railway regarded as being within its territory. In 1956 there were sidings for Valleyfield Mill.

The station site has been cleared and partly built on with houses. To the south of the former station the main road passes over a bridge, a track to a mill having formerly passed underneath.


Page created on 11/03/1997
Page last edited on: 02/04/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford
Eskbridge