RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Peebles Railway

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations
Hardengreen Junction
Esk Valley Junction

Bonnyrigg
Rosewell and Hawthornden  
Hawthornden Junction
Rosslynlee
Rosslynlee Hospital Halt
Pomathorn
Leadburn
Eddleston
Peebles
Cardrona
Innerleithen
Walkerburn
Thornielee
Clovenfords
Kilnknowe Junction

This site
North British Railway
Esk Valley Railway
Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway
Penicuik Railway
Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Edinburgh and Hawick Railway
Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway

Other sites
ScotRail


Peebles Railway

This line is closed. It ran from Eskbank, south of Edinburgh, to Peebles and on to Galashiels. Between Eskbank and Hawthornden the line is now a cycleway, further south the line is partly ploughed-out and partly walkable.

Survey To be entered+signalboxes
Engineers To be entered
Act 1853
Contractors To be entered
Opened 4 July 1855
Closed 27 March 1967
Edinburgh and Hawick Railway Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway Macmerry Branch Penicuik Railway Esk Valley Railway Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway Bonnyrigg Clovenfords Thornielee Walkerburn Innerleithan Cardrona Peebles (New) Peebles (Old) Eddleston Earlyvale Gate Leadburn Pomathorn Rosslynlee Hospital Halt Rosswell and Hawthornden Rosslynlee Clickable map of the Peebles Railway

Local area

Top 

This line runs south from Edinburgh to Peebles and Galashiels in the Scottish Borders in areas mostly dominated by farmland and small towns.

Chronology

Top

Description of route

Top

From Hardengreen Junction to Kilnknowe Junction via Peebles. The line was double track from Eskbank to Hawthornden Junction and single track with passing places from there to Kilnknowe Junction at Galashiels.

Hardengreen Junction

Top

Here the Peebles Railway branched off the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway and ran south and slightly west. The line was double track from here to Hawthornden Junction.

Esk Valley Junction
 
Top

This was the junction for the Esk Valley Railway which ran south west from here to Polton. The view looks south, the main route south being the footpath and behind the tree the former branch merged at a signalbox where the tree now stands.

Bonnyrigg
Opened:1 August 1855 as Bonnyrigg Re-named:Bonnyrigg Road December 1866
Re-named:
Bonnyrigg 1 August 1868 Closed:10 September 1962
 
Top
1956:GPFL1.10

This was a two platform station with an additional track to the east. The station house and platforms remain. In 1956 there was a 'Philip's Siding' here and the coalmine Polton No.2 was served by a short branch to the south east.

Rosewell and Hawthornden
Opened:4 July 1855 as Hawthornden Re-named:Rosewell and Hawthornden 9 July 1928 Closed:10 September 1962
 
Top
1956:GPLH

This was two platform station. The platforms still stand but little else. In 1956 there was Dalhousie Siding and rail-served Whitehill Colliery to the south east which had its own Brick and Fireclay Works.

Hawthornden Junction
 
Top

This was the junction for the Penicuik Railway this was the end of the double track from Eskbank. There was also a short branch to a coalmine here.

Rosslynlee
Opened:4 July 1855 as Roslin Re-named:Rosslyn 1 June 1864
Re-named:
Rosslynlee 2 September 1872 Closed:1 January 1917
Re-opened:2 June 1919 Closed:5 February 1962
 
Top
1956:GPLH

This was the first station to serve Roslin. It was a single platform station. In 1956 there was a 'Holmbank Siding'.

Rosslynlee Hospital Halt
Opened:11 December 1958 Closed:5 February 1962
 
Top

This halt was opened to serve Rosslynlee Hospital. No trace of the timber platform remains.

Pomathorn
Opened:As Peniuik on 4 July 1855 Re-named:Pomathorn 2 September 1872
Re-named:
Pomathorn Halt 7 July 1947 Closed:5 February 1962
 
Top
1956:P*

This was the first station to serve Penicuik. It was a single platform station.

Leadburn
Opened:4 July 1855 Closed:7 March 1955
 
Top
1956:GP+FLHC

This was the junction for the Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway. This station had two platforms and had a branch platform for the Dolphinton line. The station platforms remain in use as a carpark.

Although by 1956 the station had been closed to passengers it still handled parcel (P+) traffic. There was a siding here for the Admiralty which was the former Dolphinton branch cut back to Linton.

Earlyvale Gate
Opened:June 1856 Closed:28 February 1857
 
Top

This station was closed early in the line's history. Nothing appears to remain of it.

Eddleston
Opened:4 July 1855 Closed:5 February 1962
 
Top
1956:GPFLHC

This station had two platforms and a passing loop. The station building still stands and the platforms were more or less intact on my last visit - although some building preparation may have been under way.

Peebles (Old)
Opened:4 July 1855 Closed:1 October 1864
 
Top

Peebles was the terminus of the line until it was extended to Kilnknowe Junction on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway. The original station was left on a short branch when the line was extended.

Peebles (New)
Opened:1 October 1864 Re-named:Peebles (East) on 25 September 1950
Re-named:
Peebles on February 1958 Closed:5 February 1962
 
Top
1956:GPFLHC2.10

When the line was extended to Galashiels the original Peebles station was left on a short branch. A new Peebles station was opened. It had a single platform with a bulding and large glazed canopy. These are now demolished and a road runs where the station was (left hand photograph above). To the east of this station was the goods yard (building shown on right above is only remaining structure in what is now a carpark) and the link to the junction for the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway. The North British Railway built a connection from the east end of the goods station to join this line - it turned south over the Tweed and then west to Peebles (West) station.

In 1956 there were sidings here for Ballantyne's Mill, Dyer & Co's Saw Mills, Peebles Old Goods Station Sidings and the Scottish Gas Board Siding.

Cardrona
Opened:10 October 1864 Closed:5 February 1962
 
Top
1956:GPLH

This was a single platform station without a loop but with a goods yard which was accessed via a west facing junction by a viaduct. The left photograph shows the building from the east (note the signalbox built onto the side of the station building), the middle from the west and the right photograph shows the viaduct to the west.

The station has been renovated and was used in promoting a new building scheme in the area. A car-park has been built on the former trackbed and the building and platforms re-built.

Innerleithen
Opened:10 October 1864 Closed:5 February 1962
 
Top
1956:GPFLHVC40

This was a two platform with a long passing loop. The platforms were staggered. The station had a tall signalbox on the westbound platform. The photogaph above shows the building on the eastbound platform. Much of the site is now given over to an industrial estate.

In 1956 there were sidings here for the Ministry of Agriculture, Fishieries and Food Store and the Waverley Mills.

Walkerburn
Opened:15 January 1867 Closed:5 February 1962
 
Top
1956:GPLH

This photograph shows Walkerburn station and it's conversion into a house. The view looks north-east.

Thornielee
Opened:18 June 1866 as Thornilee Re-named:Thornielee March 1872 Closed:6 November 1950
 
Top

This station still stands complete with building and platform. The view looks south-west over the line.

Clovenfords
Opened:18 June 1866 as Thornilee Closed:5 February 1962
 
Top
1956:GPLH

The station has been built over and the station building is a house in a housing estate. The village's name is derived from the old ford, on a drove road, in the river which cattle used to be driven through on their way from the Highlands to market.

Kilnknowe Junction 

Top

Here the line met the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway at a south east facing junction. Trains ran from Galashiels to Edinburgh via Peebles on completion of the Peebles to Galashiels section.


Page created on 11/03/1997
Page last edited on: 02/04/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford