RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Paisley and Renfrew Railway

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations
Paisley Hamilton Street 
Arkleston Junction
Paisley Abercorn 
Sandyford Halt 
Renfrew South 
Renfrew Fulbar Street 
Renfrew Wharf 

This site
Glasgow and South Western Railway

Other sites
ScotRail


Paisley and Renfrew Railway 

This line is closed. Some of its course is now a footpath and some is a roadway through the Babcocks works.

Survey
?
Engineers
Thomas Grainger
John Miller
Act
?
Contractor
Barr & Brown
Opened
21/7/1835 3 miles
3/4/1837 Complete
Closed
5/1/1981
Clickable map of the Paisley and Renfrew Railway.

Local area 

Top 

The line ran parallel and to the East of the River Cart following it's course from it's confluence with the River Clyde to Paisley Harbour.

Chronology 

Top 

Description of route

Top 

From Paisley along the east bank of the River Cart to a wharf by the River Clyde at Renfrew.

Paisley Hamilton Street 

Top 

This was the original terminus of the line in Paisley. The location of this station is now an out of use carpark. 

Arkleston Junction 

Top 

The Renfrew line was altered to join the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway at this point. The junction faced Glasgow, and this necessitated a Paisley station nearby the junction at Abercorn. The junction was resited further east to ease the departure curve some years later. 

Paisley Abercorn 

Top 

This station is preserved as part of  a cycleway from Paisley to Sandyford. The buildings have been demolished. The architecture was similar to the building at Paisley Canal Street. At the North end of the station the line connecting the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway to the Paisley and Renfrew Railway joined the course of the original line, leaving Hamilton Street as a short spur. 

Sandyford Halt 

Top 

This was a halt on the line with timber platforms. The platforms are now gone and the trackbed currently (19/01/98) sports a burnt out car. A number of sidings remain embedded in concrete at industrial premises to the west of the station. 

Renfrew South 

Top 

The station building still stands but the trackbed of the railway from here to Sandyford is now a private road through the Babcocks works.

Renfrew Fulbar Street 

Top 

This station is now a house. The platforms are gone, but the nearby level crossing is now a footpath.

Renfrew Wharf  

The station site has now been demolished. The location of the station to the left of the green building in the centre of this photograph. The whole site is surrounded by defunct industrial equipment. The photograph is taken from a roadbridge to the south of the station site. Judging by the construction of the bridge six tracks may once have passed under the roadway at this location.


Page created on 19/01/1998
Page last edited on: 02/04/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford