Harbour of Cullen, with the town behind. The Railway
viaducts can also be seen. The station was to the
left, out of sight.
This line runs along the coastline from Portsoy
west to near Lossiemouth.
Description of route
From Portsoy to Lossie
Junction, near Elgin.
This curve was built between Grange North Junction
and Cairnie Junction in 1886. Cairnie Junction became an island platform station
in 1898 and the grange curve was made double track at the same time. See the
Great North of Scotland main line's entry
for Cairnie Junction station.The formation is still clearly visible. The
trackbed to the North of the junction is now used as a roadway. The view given
here looks South from the North junction. The trackbed running from the foreground
to the left head towards Grange, the trackbed seen on the right runs to Cairnie
The Moray Coast Railway joined the Banff,
Portsoy and Strathisla Railway at this junction. Please
see the entry for the Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway.
The main station building has survived due
to its conversion to a scout hall. The platform area has been infilled and the
Text not entered yet.
Text not entered yet.
The station was a single platform on a tight
curve. The station has been demolished whilst a series of viaducts through the
town have survived.
This station was recently demolished to make
way for housing.
The station is demolished and housing occupies
At this point the Highland
Railway's Keith to Buckie and
Portessie Branch joined the line. The junction faced away from the station
The station consisted of three platforms; two
on the GNSR line and one on the Highland
Railway line to Keith. Both lines had loops at this point, the Highland
Railway line also having an engine shed.
Today the platforms can be found still, although
the trackbed is overgrown and partly inflilled. The turntable pit of the Highland
Railway shed remains.
The station has been demolished. The station
was probably further to the right than shown in the left-hand view. The right-hand
view shows the harbour from above. There were a number of sidings running parallel
to the harbour basin.
The station has been demolished and a short
secion of platform only remains. The left photograph shows the platform, and
the right shows a footbridge which is to the East of the station, nearer Buckie.
The station has been demolished and landscaped
to form a small park.
This station is now used as a store and the
stationmaster's house is still in use as a house. Many lamp standards remain
on the platforms although the platforms are much overgrown.
The Spey Viaduct still stands intact today.
This station is now a house.
This station site is now a house. The station
has been demolished.
The remaining platform at this location can
been seen running from left to right in the distance across the field. The building
is siting on the platform.
At this location the Coast line joined the
Morayshire Railway for access
to Elgin. See that entry for the photograph.
Ordinance Survey Grid References
1. NJ.590.656 Portsoy Junction
2. NJ.589.657 Portsoy (New)
3. NJ.558.654 Glassaugh
4. NJ.523.657 Tochieneal
5. NJ.514.672 Cullen
6. NJ.486.684 Portknockie
7. NJ.466.678 Findochty
8. NJ.446.666 Portessie
9. NJ.424.655 Buckie
10. NJ.411.651 Buckpool
11. NJ.394.642 Portgordon
12. NJ.355.643 Spey Bay
13. NJ.334.640 Garmouth
14. NJ.287.631 Urquhart
15. NJ.256.643 Calcots
16. NJ.230.638 Lossie Junction
Page created on 27/01/1997
Page last edited on: 24/03/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford