RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Leith North Branch

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations
Crew Junction
Pilton Junction West
Pilton Junction East
East Pilton
East Pilton Works
Granton Road
Newhaven Junction
Newhaven
Newhaven East Junction
Leith North Goods
Leith western docks
Leith North

This site
Caledonian Railway
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway

Other sites
ScotRail


Leith North Branch
(Caledonian Railway)

This line provided a service from the docks at Leith harbour to Granton and Edinburgh, joining the Edinburgh to Granton line at Pilton. The line is closed and now forms a walkway.

Survey To be entered
Engineers To be entered
Act 7 August 1862
Contractors To be entered
Opened 1 September 1864
Closed 5 August 1968
Clickable map of the  Leith North Branch.

Local area

Top

The land between Pilton and Leith generally drops down towards the sea. Pilton is to the North West of central Edinburgh and Leith is a town and port on the Firth of the river Forth to the North of Edinburgh. The area has suffered from a decline in industry and the housing in the area is a mixture of all periods from Victorian to modern. The former Royal yacht Britannia is the berthed at the terminus of the old line.

Chronology

Top

Description of route

Top

This line provided a service from the docks at Leith harbour to Granton and Edinburgh, joining the Edinburgh to Granton line at Crewe Junction and Pilton Junction West. The line is closed and now forms a walkway.

Crew Junction

Top

This was the junction with the 1864 line which ran to Leith. The junction faced South towards Murrayfield. The Granton line ran North and the Leith line ran East from this point. The location of the junction can be seen today.

Pilton Junction West

Top

This was a junction with the 1864 line which ran to Leith. The junction faced North towards Granton. The Murrayfield line ran South and the Leith line ran East from this point. The old junction cannot be seen today.

Pilton Junction East

Connection between lines from Crewe Jnct and Pilton Jnct East

East Pilton

Later added station (1934)

East Pilton Works

Look up details later

Granton Road

Top

This passenger station was added after line was opened.

Newhaven Junction

Complex junction with lines to Leith North (Goods), Leith North (Passengers) and South Leith.

Newhaven

Top

This passenger station was added after line was already open to freight. The goods lines were to north, and passenger lines to the south with two platforms. The formation call still be seen at tracklevel. Above the trackbed the former booking office still stands. To the south were two further platforms on the Leith New Lines.

Newhaven East Junction

Part of triangle of lines to South Leith. Junction never opened.

Leith North Goods

Original terminus of line. Goods yard and shed to Sth and quayside lines and connection to docks to Nth

Leith western docks

Connection runs through to NB

Leith North

Top

Passenger terminus on line from Newhaven Jnct. Located to sth of Leith North goods yard. Until recently the station was still partly standing. The terminus had an island platform which entered a wooden trainshed by the buffers.


Page created on 29/04/1999
Page last edited on: 17/03/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford